Discuss Extending table lamp flex in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a table lamp fitted with 2 core 0.75mm flex.
I wish to extend the length of the cable but only have 2 core 1.5mm flex to hand.
Can I use this, or must the flex be the same diameter both sides of the join.
Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.
Thank you for your advice.

You can use flex that's a larger size than the original but it would be better to replace the entire flex rather than trying to make a joint mid-length.

You can use flex that's a larger size than the original but it would be better to replace the entire flex rather than trying to make a joint mid-length.
Thank you Marvo. I’m swapping out the switch for a WiFi switch and the existing cable length isn’t sufficient to reach the power socket.

How are you planning to extend this cord.

How are you planning to extend this cord.
The existing cord is 0.75mm with a switch midway through it. Was planning to remove the switch, leave the 0.75mm going into the lamp, replace the switch and have a metre of 1.5mm from the switch to the plug.

you may struggle getting 1.5mm inti the switch. but a metre or 2 of 0.75mm. cheapskate. :D:D.

Yeah, as Tel says, good luck getting the 1.5mm cable into the switch.....
It would probably be a lot less heartache in the long run to buy some .75 flex.

just amazed to hear that you have electric light in Scotland. thought you got light from a peat fire with a hole in the roof to let the smoke out.. :D:D:D.

scottish-light-style.jpg

Reply to Extending table lamp flex in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net