Discuss Extending Tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AdieB

-
Reaction score
I have a job where SEC are moving the mains cable for the property to allow for change of use of the area. This means that the tails from the new meter box will be through a wall and over 3 mts long. Therefore a Switch fuse /isolator will be required in the new meter box. Does it require the facility for SEC to put their meter seals on the enclosure of the Switch fuse / Isolator ? The one I was offered at suppliers did not have this facility. What do others fit in this situation?

Thanks, AdieB

Used the Wylex not seen those before seem very good.

Cable retention grips should be mandatory on anything where tails are terminated.

How often do we hear of the dire warnings when this is not so in other works ? eg a junction box (maybe above a light or under a floor)where there will be hardly any chance of disturbance,yet tails can be swung about like a ride on a roller coaster during their life
If its good enough to stipulate hidden junctions to have cable retention surely tails at the mains position should be the first priority

Tested a retail shop last year and the tails were a metre or so long to the board, the staff were using it as a clothes rail:)

Tails within the meter box are most unlikely to be subjected to mechanical strain, you don't see cable clamps on meters or REC cut outs after all. But where the meter is internal adjacent to a CU I'd always cleat the tails.

Tails within the meter box are most unlikely to be subjected to mechanical strain, you don't see cable clamps on meters or REC cut outs after all. But where the meter is internal adjacent to a CU I'd always cleat the tails.

When I've replaced tails of recent times, I've taken to clipping them to the back of the meter cupboard and then checked later, the tightness of my terminations. That said, I always provided a bit of a loop of cable, for the next upgrade!

Reply to Extending Tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock