Discuss Extending Telephone Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Noob2013

Hi all,

Looking at extending a telephone cable but the joint will be outside due to the long run up the side of house.

Is it best to just use one of the IDC junction boxes? Does it need to be IP rated?

Thanks

Looking at extending a telephone cable but the joint will be outside due to the long run up the side of house.
Is it best to just use one of the IDC junction boxes? Does it need to be IP rated?

As already mentioned, if it ever rains, you don't want the connections to get wet!

I would ask does the connection actually need to be outside?

use the grease filled connectors that BT use. enclose in a small IP65 box.

definately the gel filled crimps,you should be able to cadge a few of a friendly BT engineer,one point about using them though,as they are idc connections don't strip the cable ends push them in and crimp with a pair of pliers.but carefully so it crimps straight,the best thing is a pair of parallel grip pliers or those slip joint ones if you haven't got the crimp tool.

BT's solution is to use "Jelly Crimps" which in one action pierces, crimps and seals the connection in waterresistant goo

That said, I'd go for joining indoors or a continuous run if poss

Hi all,

Thanks
As long as it's an extension cable and not the main BT lead! As above, better to route back to main BT master socket, particularly if you want to run ADSL over it.

BT just seem to use jelly crimps with no kind of enclosure; I'd say jelly crimps in any kind of enclosure (provided it's not just going to fill up with water) would be better than what the experts do.

Reply to Extending Telephone Cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net