Discuss extending the earthing arrangement for a steel framed commercial building under 18th edition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my situation:

Existing brick building demolished and replaced with steel frame, steel panel clad warehouse/storage structure.

Original building had two electrical supplies:
1 x 63A single phase and neutral via 3 core PVC SWA PVC
1 x 100A TPN via 4 core PVC SWA PVC plus equal csa CPC

Both supplies will be reinstated but only SPN used to feed LED lighting, small power, intruder/fire alarm supply and electric roller shutter.

Will be providing RCBO protection on final circuits but is there a get out clause for not providing RCD on alarm circuit?

Existing incoming main is approx. 60 years old comprising an 800A TPN cubicle panel fed from a 750kVA on site transformer.
Cubicle is fitted with BS88 fuse protection to sub main cables feeding various distribution boards throughout the building.

Surge protection class 1/2 will be installed in the new building, but not sure if the client wants to install lightning protection.

I guess my question is to TT or extend the existing TN-S?

If there’s no lightning protection then why do you want to install a type 1 spd?
Type 1 are installed to work with the LPS as type 2 do not protect against lightning overvoltages.

If you can then use the existing TN-S you then can avoid rcd protection to any circuits that do not require it.

If there’s no lightning protection then why do you want to install a type 1 spd?
Type 1 are installed to work with the LPS as type 2 do not protect against lightning overvoltages.

If you can then use the existing TN-S you then can avoid rcd protection to any circuits that do not require it.

What does lps stand for?

I would be installing a 1/2 surge as it is not known yet if the client will install an LPS. The building is over shadowed by local buildings and I wonder if it is actually required.

This is not something I am qualified to comment on.

Happy to be corrected if wrong but doesn't a bs5839 part 1 power supply prohibit use of a rcd on its supply?
No as with TT systems it sometimes can’t be avoided and the circuit would require earth fault protection by say a 100mA rcd but 30mA if additional protection is required for the cable buried in the wall without mechanical protection, earthed conduit etc.

Happy to be corrected if wrong but doesn't a bs5839 part 1 power supply prohibit use of a rcd on its supply?
Then prove me wrong as simply disagreeing is pointless
It should ideally not be rcd protected but if for safety reasons it has to be, as with a TT system and rcd protection is required for earth fault protection but ,if you bother to look it up it is not prohibited!

Reply to extending the earthing arrangement for a steel framed commercial building under 18th edition in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock