Discuss Extending Wiring - beginner! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, compete novice here. I am trying to repair a microphone and I need to extend the current wiring to reach the XLR plug. See photo. The wires are extremely thin! What’s the best way to add new wires to this to extend? Twist and then electrical tape??hope this makes sense.https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/gallery/iMizZzm

How think is 'extremely thin'? you pic doesn't work.
Try Copy/Paste into the post. Sometimes the 'Upload' doesn't work.

How about soldering and heatshrink connections?

just get hold of some similar size wire. solder with a low power iron. after sliding some heatshrink on.

thanks both for advice... if I buy some heat shrink to I need special heat gun to shrink?

Some people use the soldering iron itself and rub it up and down the length.... (No funny comments guys...)
Or if you have a paint stripper then use that. Just be careful you don't put it too close. (This is what I have used in the past)
Someone at work said that they have used a hairdryer... but it would have to be one that got quite hot.

As the guys have said above, solder and heatshrink. Remember to slide the heatshrink on first!

Also, tin the wires well first and ensure there are no loose strands poking out before sliding the heatshrink down.

If you aren't used to soldering then practice on some spare wire first.

Is it not possible to de solder those wires totally and re solder some at both ends of the appropriate length, saves the need to a potential faulty joint? I think i would expect there to be a wired connection to the shield on the xlr connector as well, what sort of mic is it?

……..and don't forget a couple of pairs of sharp false Blue Teeth ...….for a decent wireless connection.

Reply to Extending Wiring - beginner! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net