Discuss extension lead advise please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all, just used my extension lead, it was ok before i used it just to vacuum, the extension lead was fully unwound but its not very long anyway, the hover is only about 4 months old, so i can not really see that having anything to do with it, could be wrong though, extension lead was fitted with a 13amp fuse. thanks in advance for any help or advise.please see pictures below

extension lead advise please IMG_4417.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

extension lead advise please IMG_4418.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

loose connection in live terminal. cut cable back to sound conductors and fit a new plug. make sure connections are tight and that the cord grip is securing the cable sheath.

It looks to me like the L Brown conductor was badly terminated. loose, worth checking the termination on all plug in appliances including extension leads occasionally, it may also have been a badly seated cartridge fuse, all in all a lucky escape.

If I did not know better that cable looks like 2.5 cable which should not be in a plug. It looks as if someone has put half of the strands in the terminal point and half outside to the right against the fuse holder. It also appears that the cable extended past the termination point. It looks like a home made extension lead atrociously wired. I hope no-one is trying to kill you! Gadzooks! If you did that, suggest you don't put on a new plug tomorrow;) That live is so close to the earth it is amazing there was not a big bang.

not home made, it was a brought from a well know diy store a few years back, now thank you also for your advise, insurance money left to dogs home :0:0:, so they would be wasting their time but little would they know that :),best i stay alert, guess i do not need any more replies to my original post. happy with every response, thank a million people.

not home made, it was a brought from a well know diy store a few years back, now thank you also for your advise, insurance money left to dogs home :0:0:, so they would be wasting their time but little would they know that :),best i stay alert, guess i do not need any more replies to my original post. happy with every response, thank a million people.
Really? if I was a detective I would suggest that is without doubt a home made effort!

It's not 2.5mm², looks like 1.25 to me. And I don't think that's stray strands hanging out of the line terminal as it looks the same even with the cable removed - it's just burnt plastic. I have seen commercially made cables with the earth tight like that and hand-stripped ends without ferrules, so I'd accept that it was off the shelf and just had a terminal screw or the fuse clip slacken off (my money is actually on the fuse clip because the open end is just as badly oxidised as the bottom)

I would say that it probably wasn't 'OK' before vacuuming, the discolouration and burning look to have progressed over a long time. I would think it has been used for a heating appliance or a continuous lower level load in the past, deteriorating unnoticed until used for the cleaner.

thank you for your comment Lucien Nunes, it was actually the extension lead i used for my domestic sewing machine and domestic overlocking machine (also sewing related machine for those that do not know), i have now disposed of the extension lead.

Reply to extension lead advise please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock