Discuss Extension of lighting circuit! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been to look at a job, basically lady wants two lights in loft and a switch, no problem coming off existing upstairs lighting circuit via a bedroom pendant below.

Just after a bit of advice, existing db is 16th ed, so lighting circuits not rcd protected.

Would you insist on installing an RCBO on lighting circuit or just note it as a departure on MW cert, all cables are going to be clipped on inside of joists, nothing buried (only by insulation), so my thinking is my addition to the circuit is all surface and does not require RCD protection, oh and all fittings and switch are class 2.

Thanks guys all views appreciated!

I would come off existing lighting circuit into an rcd fused spur, then wire your new lights. This way you rcd protect your work, and a fused spur only protects its load, therefore saving you potencial trouble if you installed an rcbo on said circuit and had an eart neutral fault, hope this helps Ben

Hmmmnnnn, If the switch is in the loft too, then none of the wiring is buried and is all surface run. I would say that so long as all the testing checks out, your addition to the circuit would not require RCD protection...

Tin hat.......

as above. if it's no cables buried in walls, then RCD is not required. some might split hairs and say that because you have worked on the circuit, and that circuit has cables buried in walls from previous installation, then you should bring that circuit up to 17 Ed. regs,, but i wouldn't bother.

Agree with all points, because all are very valid, but also because I HATE the very idea of RCD's on internal lighting circuits...how would some poor sod get out of a lit loft if the RCD trips...more likely the hard way via the ceiling!!

Think the point is you're only responsible for the work you do. If your adding to a lighting circuit then its the work that you add that needs to meet the current regs. RCD protection therefore depends on how you install the wiring runs ....

Agree with all points, because all are very valid, but also because I HATE the very idea of RCD's on internal lighting circuits...how would some poor sod get out of a lit loft if the RCD trips...more likely the hard way via the ceiling!!

hope that would be a plumber fell through the ceiling.

Re loft lights...Doing 2395.. i was told there that you can not fix electrical accessories directly onto timber / joist. Apparently now you have to install a blue type disc behind each fitting. This blue disc will expand if a fire should occur. Bit like the seal in a fire door. Anyone know of any info about this? Similarly.. told that dry line boxes for stud walls etc, now can not be used on new builds. Dry line boxes with some sought of fire / heat expanding material has to be used.

Re loft lights...Doing 2395.. i was told there that you can not fix electrical accessories directly onto timber / joist. Apparently now you have to install a blue type disc behind each fitting. This blue disc will expand if a fire should occur. Bit like the seal in a fire door. Anyone know of any info about this? Similarly.. told that dry line boxes for stud walls etc, now can not be used on new builds. Dry line boxes with some sought of fire / heat expanding material has to be used.

I stand to be corrected but that sounds like total nonsense to me because it certainly is not in BS7671 or the Building Regs as amended.

I have used the drylining boxes with the fire seal, they are a right pain to use. I have not heard of the blue disk for lights on timber. I do hope you are mistaken as i really dont fancy fitting the fire rated drylining boxes everywhere!

Only needed where stipulated, such as multi-occupancy dwellings. Most fittings state "can be installed on normally flammable surfaces", and as such you would be following manufacturers instructions.

Reply to Extension of lighting circuit! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock