Discuss Extension to outdoor weatherproof sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

If it was fixed wiring, we would be suggesting armoured cable, buried in the ground etc.
As you say, off a plug top, you can use “artic blue”, used a lot for caravans etc and designed to be left out in the sun without degradation.
Depending where the socket is going, you don’t want any tripping hazards so run the cable carefully.
Is the enclosure to be powered all the time? It may be better to have a dedicated circuit installed, by a professional, that way if there’s a fault it doesn’t trip all your house sockets... and finally, make sure it’s protected by an RCD or RCBO as its outside.

Tortoise enclosure? A glorified rabbit hutch? De ja vu

(Private joke)

The use of an extension lead to supply a heat lamp, which is going to be left running unattended is NOT a sound idea, a trip hazard, pets chewing the cable, Kids playing with the cable, are three problems I can think of without trying to hard.
To do the job safely you would be best advised to employ an Electrician to do the work correctly, using the correct cable and accessories along with a test certificate.

A plug is something you stick in a hole (Ooer missus!)
A plug top is the thing we use to transfer electricity from wall socket to flex of appliance.
The cover of a plug is a plug top cover. Simples

Whilst I agree with @GeorgeCooke on the terminology being right, having to work with customers on a day to day basis I find it easier to work it how they understand it.

Fusebox - Consumer Unit
Bulb - Lamp
Lamp - Table standing Light generally in the corner of the room
Fluorescent Bulb - Fluorescent Tube
Spotlights - Recessed Downlighs
Spotlights - The Bar or circular type fittings with GU10s
LED Fluorescent Bulb - An LED Tube
Fuse - MCB
Trip - RCD or MCB
Lead Lighting - LED Lighting
Can we discuss a cash price - No

Also add to that list;-

"It was done by a professional electrician" - Translates to "My husband did it... I know.. I told him to get someone in, but you know what he's like....."

A plug top is the thing we use to transfer electricity from wall socket to flex of appliance.
The cover of a plug is a plug top cover. Simples

Simply wrong.

A plug is used to transfer electricity from a wall socket to flex.
The cover of a plug is a plug top.
There is no such thing as a plug top cover.

Whilst I agree with @GeorgeCooke on the terminology being right, having to work with customers on a day to day basis I find it easier to work it how they understand it.

Fusebox - Consumer Unit
Bulb - Lamp
Lamp - Table standing Light generally in the corner of the room
Fluorescent Bulb - Fluorescent Tube
Spotlights - Recessed Downlighs
Spotlights - The Bar or circular type fittings with GU10s
LED Fluorescent Bulb - An LED Tube
Fuse - MCB
Trip - RCD or MCB
Lead Lighting - LED Lighting
Can we discuss a cash price - No

Gets on my nerves when someone says..... No bulbs grow in the ground it’s a lamp.
F**k off George it’s Monday, go get a grip!

Gets on my nerves when someone says..... No bulbs grow in the ground it’s a lamp.
F**k off George it’s Monday, go get a grip!

Calm down. Look at a calendar and you will see it is Sunday. Now have a look at bulbs and lamps, plugs and plug tops and use the correct terms.

dig the trench, 18" deep. line bottom with 4" sand, lay cable on top of sand but do not cover till electrician has sen it and tested it for integrity. then cover as directed by electrician.

I've decided to go the safer route of using a SWA cable

Also, I think I will dig the wire in & get an electrician to wire it up as armoured wired looks a pain to strip!

You don't just strip swa, out has to be terminated properly too.

Suggest you find a local spark .... And talk to them before doing anything ..

That's why I would want an electrician to do it!
So, the is cable I linked is the right cable for what I need?
Also, is there a right way to attach the weather proof socket so it's off the ground, there's no wall to attach it to, so it needs something free standing, I was thinking of stakeing a piece of wood in the ground and attaching it that way, or is thereanother way?
Thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
That's why I would want an electrician to do it!
So, the is cable I linked is the right cable for what I need?
Also, is there a right way to attach the weather proof socket so it's off the ground, there's no wall to attach it to, so it needs something free standing, I was thinking of stakeing a piece of wood in the ground and attaching it that way, or is thereanother way?
Thanks for the advice :)

Best have this conversation with the spark ............. he will be able to advise on other aspects of this jobs too.

Reply to Extension to outdoor weatherproof sockets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net