Discuss External Earth Cable Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I have a house where in order for the rising main to be earthed, the earth goes around the outside of the property to the fuse box in 10mm cable clipped to the wall at damp proof level. It has no conduit protection. I have recently asked an electrician to upgrade the fuse box and he suggests that the earth is non compliant it is not protected.

Is this the case and what should the cable be protected by?- solid or corrugated trunking?

Any thoughts would be welcome

Well I'd personally mechanically protect it if I'd installed it however bs 7671 gives a minimum CSA of 4mm where mechanical protection is not needed for applications such as supplementary bonding and earthing where the conductor is not part of a cable or mechanically protected.
maybe he means the main earthing conductor should be 16mm? Or is the 10mm for the gas or water?

It is almost certainly not non compliant but it could be improved. There are many millions of cables installed in this manner. It could most easily be enclosed in conduit though getting the end of the cable available may be inconvenient.

Hi I have a house where in order for the rising main to be earthed, the earth goes around the outside of the property to the fuse box in 10mm cable clipped to the wall at damp proof level. It has no conduit protection. I have recently asked an electrician to upgrade the fuse box and he suggests that the earth is non compliant it is not protected.

Is this the case and what should the cable be protected by?- solid or corrugated trunking?

Any thoughts would be welcome
I would also be concerned about a possible bridge of the DPC

ideal would be to enclose in black pvc conduit. to do this obviously, to thread it through, entails disconnecting one end. this should be done (in an ideal world) with the installation isolated from supply.

or just cut it half way, thread tube (and elbows) over both halves of cable, fit through box, add saddles/clips, crimp joint cable in through box. 30 minutes - done.

In another place not governed by BS7671 practice was to paint over exposed cable if it was on a painted surface to slow the UV attack. Wilko rates a good slather of plastic paint SPF 100 :) .

Reply to External Earth Cable Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net