Discuss External Floodlights - Warehouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Owen

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have leased a warehouse for about a year now and have had an issue with the external floodlights.

There are about 12 in total that come on when its dark. Each one turns on, warms up, then at their full brightness turn off. This happens every 5 minutes or so. Each light does this but not simultaneously. Kind of one after the other in some strange sequence, a couple maybe at the same time, but the same cycle nonetheless.

Is there a setting that would cause this, or are they likely faulty? I just want them to come on and stay on until morning for security.

Cheers

They have been like this since i have been here which is 12 months. The building is about a decade old so i would assume they are as old as the building. Really weird

They sound like metal halide fittings and you could be getting what is known as end of life cycling with the tubes. Replacing the tubes may rectify this however this maybe a short term fix and it may start again. Halide tubes as they age require a greater load to maintain their illumination and this can have a knock on effect to the ballast and capacitor, in particular the capacitor. If damaged it may no longer limit the power to the tube and hence cycling may begin again. Being twelve years old you may want to consider complete replacement.

I have to agree with @westward10

Seen it myself with end of life lamps also the fact that they turn on and off in sequence tells me that they are not on one photocell to control them all and even if they have they're own cell each all the cells can't be faulty or very unlikely anyway. Most probably lamps.

Yplan

Sounds like metal halide fittings as others have said, there may be a way to retrofit your existing fittings with some LED "corn" lamps - sure they'd be a member on here local to you that can advise after a site visit.

Thanks for all the replies.
Quite a big outlay in terms of replacing all the fittings and tubes. Do you think that replacing one set is worthwhile to determine if that works?

Try a couple of new bulbs and see if they behave, would it be your responsibility to replace the fittings if your leasing?

Just the bulbs 1st to see if that works?

No, I suppose not. However he has said all the lights were working when we took the lease on. But i have told him about them before buit didnt progress with the issue.

General maintenance is likely to be your responsibility but yes replace a few tubes and see how it goes.

Depending on for how long you intend to occupy the building and how many hours the lights are on, you may well find the savings on energy costs go a long way toward the cost of the LED replacement, or indeed better. If that doesn't quite wash its face, you could capitalise the LED installation (whereas energy costs are a revenue charge to your P&L) and then you're only paying 25% of the LED replacement in year one but yielding the full benefit in operating costs...and do it at the start of your financial year.

Thanks again for the replies. The whole sequence thing is really strange. I am going to review CCTV to see if its the same sequence each night? I have uploaded a photo of one of the fittings leaning out the window.

20181030_173004.jpg

Reply to External Floodlights - Warehouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net