• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss External mains power inside house? in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi,
Just looking for a bit of advice, we live in a semi, and the mains power runs along our neighbours wall (about half way up the house) and then goes into our consumer unit which is in the kitchen.

We have just begun building a lean to extension, which effectively means that the mains power is running in an internal wall, with no external fuse etc. The electrician has fitted a metal casing over the mains power, but my question is whether this is the correct thing to do. He says he will give us all the necessary certificates and is fully accreditted, but we are not sure it seems right.

Thank you in advance,
David

Hi,where is the metering/main fuse? Also,what type of supply is it?

Your electricians certificates would most likely apply to parts of the installation,after the supply intake.

What reason, have you to believe,that he has acted incorrectly?

Hi Peg,

Thanks for your reply.
Pre extension - if you imagine our house is two up two down - (downstairs there's a living room and kitchen) the mains power runs along the outside of the back wall, and then comes into the kitchen, where there is the meter/main fuse.

The extension is being built directly on to the back wall of the full width of the house - but the mains wire is not being moved - just being covered up with a thick metal casing - so is now on an internal wall of the house (behind plaster etc). The fuse/meter etc is in the same place (in the kitchen). There is no fuse on the outside of the new extension. Hopefully that makes sense!

I have no reason to believe he has acted incorrectly, he is well respected and comes recommended, but i wanted a second opinion on the matter. Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you in advance

David

I would imagine that if this cables is the DNO supply cable then it would need to be accessible in case of any problems with it and not concealed within someone’s property.
The DNO will have regulations regarding this I would imagine (ESQCR)

Last edited:
Wonder if it will be in a "safe" zone because if it is the DNO cable as Ian says I would not want to drill through it :eek:

Hi Dave,

with a thick metal casing
This is to protect the cable.
If you want the cable moving them you could ring up your DNO supplier and get them to move it. This might cost quite a bit.
Your electrician can't move this cable himself. All cables before the meter are the responsibility of the DNO supplier.

Hi,
Just looking for a bit of advice, we live in a semi, and the mains power runs along our neighbours wall (about half way up the house) and then goes into our consumer unit which is in the kitchen.

We have just begun building a lean to extension, which effectively means that the mains power is running in an internal wall, with no external fuse etc. The electrician has fitted a metal casing over the mains power, but my question is whether this is the correct thing to do. He says he will give us all the necessary certificates and is fully accreditted, but we are not sure it seems right.

Thank you in advance,
David
David, just got up and read this post, forgive me if I have it wrong, but what sort of cable is it you are talking about, again I may be wrong but if this cable runs into your consumers unit, then I would suggest that it may not be a main cable but a supply to something else, looking forward to the answers.

Just re-read this @Pete999 and I see what you mean.

In the OP's first post he says "and then goes into our consumer unit which is in the kitchen."
In the OP's second post he says "the mains power runs along the outside of the back wall, and then comes into the kitchen, where there is the meter/main fuse."

Just re-read this @Pete999 and I see what you mean.

In the OP's first post he says "and then goes into our consumer unit which is in the kitchen."
In the OP's second post he says "the mains power runs along the outside of the back wall, and then comes into the kitchen, where there is the meter/main fuse."
OP can you post some pictures of the cable etc?

Interesting one this .............. inside the property now, is there ANY obvious indication that the cable is there?

Could the OP post a picture?

Seen quite a few supplies (especially TT) routed through a property by the DNO, sometimes not so obvious a route; but that should be done or arranged by the DNO. Bit late now that it's covered in capping & plaster, isn't it?

Thanks everyone.
Will post a pic in a mo -

I believe it to be a mains cable - it goes from the overhead power line accross the street, and then goes along the wall of our neighbours (the other half of the semi) and into our house.

The casing is definately there to stop you from drilling into it- it isnt fused, so as far as i am aware you would be drilling directly into the mains...

My question really is whether it is safe or correct to do this. The positioning of the cable is such that you would never really want to drill into that area of the wall, and the casing is angled so that any drill bit would be diverted to either side of the cable.

It is not yet in plaster, just being cased, so not too late (but nearly).

The other alternative is to get the house rewired, and get the Electric Supplier/owner of the cable (in this case Scotish Power) fitting a fuse on the outside of the house, and then getting the electrician to move the consumer unit/meter etc to the internal wall of the extension.

But the electrician said that we could do this (case the cable) and save 2-3K.

Thanks everyone.
Will post a pic in a mo -

I believe it to be a mains cable - it goes from the overhead power line accross the street, and then goes along the wall of our neighbours (the other half of the semi) and into our house.

The casing is definately there to stop you from drilling into it- it isnt fused, so as far as i am aware you would be drilling directly into the mains...

My question really is whether it is safe or correct to do this. The positioning of the cable is such that you would never really want to drill into that area of the wall, and the casing is angled so that any drill bit would be diverted to either side of the cable.

It is not yet in plaster, just being cased, so not too late (but nearly).

The other alternative is to get the house rewired, and get the Electric Supplier/owner of the cable (in this case Scotish Power) fitting a fuse on the outside of the house, and then getting the electrician to move the consumer unit/meter etc to the internal wall of the extension.

But the electrician said that we could do this (case the cable) and save 2-3K.
Obviously not a very knowledgeable Electrician imo

Here is a photo of the outside of the house mid build.
Photo-23-09-2017,-10-36-45.jpg

Hi Pete,
So what would you recommend?

Thanks
David
Where you have said CU fuse is that where the meter is?it seems odd to me if that is the case, either way you need to contact the DNO if this is the cable feeding your house to hear their recommendations, don't mean to be a hindsight freak, but did your builder not mention this problem? daft question really all he is interested in is the building, every thing else is your problem. I would, contact DNO as a matter of urgency before anymore building work is done, sorry I can't offer any more advice.
What do you intend to do with the wall the cable is on, with regards to a covering medium?

Hi Pete,
It's a 30's house, and all the houses on this stretch are the same - i.e. the power line goes directly into houses (with fuse on the inside of the house) - this was like this when we bought it, and the neighbours all have the same system, so i am not worried about that. The wiring in that photo is as we bought the house.

We knew about the problem, had scottish power out, and was going to move everything until the electrician said you could do it this way instead. Having a last minute panic to confirm it is OK.

What part mate?
What do you see wrong with what the electrician has done?
Well I would have thought that he should have realised the problem, and mentioned it straight away, perhaps "not very knowledgeable" is being a bit of a harsh comment, still think it should have been noticed and dealt with before any building work, think also the planning people should have noted it as well. My opinion is that this should have been dealt with at the onset of the works. That's all I can say. so I'll sign off now, as I can see this thread becoming a mud slinging exercise.

Reply to External mains power inside house? in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net