Discuss External socket for 13amp car charger lead in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi need some advice re installation of a external 13amp socket to enable connection of a 13amp mercedes car charger. Socket would be spurred via SFCU from local ring main. External socket attached to external wall of main house. Earthing system TNCS. Would this arrangement be compliant ? Instruction manual with the car states can be plugged into a normal 13amp socket. But i have heard that various things regarding having to TT the supply socket re TNCS any advice appreciated

If you are just fitting a standard outside socket which essentially could be used for any purpose I would treat it as such.

I would err caution. Some of the car charger products I've seen (Mode 3), have a 16amp/3.6kw supply, probably too large to be taken off RCF (Appendix 15 recommendation). I would check to see exactly what charger will be used.

I would err caution. Some of the car charger products I've seen (Mode 3), have a 16amp/3.6kw supply, probably too large to be taken off RCF (Appendix 15 recommendation). I would check to see exactly what charger will be used.
Instructions say 13A socket.

IET released this handy pdf back in Summer 2015;
Update on electric vehicle charging equipment installation requirements - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/57/ev-cop/index.cfm

It isn't for charging equipment as such, it is a socket which could be used for any purpose.

The OP says 'external 13amp socket to enable connection of a 13amp mercedes car charger'. Unless he's talking of charging the cars battery, or its Ipod/pad/thing, then 722 applies. We shall have to wait and see :(

One of my neighbours can often be seen plugging her car into a trailing extension reel. I think the use of standard 13A socket outlets to charge cars is asking for trouble!

The OP says 'external 13amp socket to enable connection of a 13amp mercedes car charger'. Unless he's talking of charging the cars battery, or its Ipod/pad/thing, then 722 applies. We shall have to wait and see :(
If it's a 13A socket, then its a 13A socket, irrespective of where it is installed. If the gadget that is plugged into the 13A socket has a 13A plug, that's it, isn't it? Am I missing something??

From Mercedes website

Fully charging the lithium-ion battery takes just over nine hours using a household power point (230 V / 13 A) and as little as three hours via a purpose-built 400 V / 16 A wallbox or public charging station. During your journey, the vehicle can also use regenerative braking to top up the battery.

Household power point must simply be a 13 amp socket, it takes 9-21 hours so it must be a slow charge affair, it appears the 16amp wall socket affair needs to be three phase hence the normal reference to external plug.

Advice re TT in this http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/34/electric-vehicle-charging.cfm?type=pdf

I quite fancy one of these electric cars, could only afford an old milk float though!

Last edited:
RCD if its outside.

If it's a 13A socket, then its a 13A socket, irrespective of where it is installed. If the gadget that is plugged into the 13A socket has a 13A plug, that's it, isn't it? Am I missing something??

Rolec for example, have a '13amp socket' Mode 2 charger 10amp supply. 10amp supplies are not covered in Section 722. This, I've read provides suitable charging overnight.

There also a Mode 3 charger 16amp supply, which provides a fast charging of 2 to 3 hrs. Anything above 10amps is covered by 722.

Not knowing the exact details, I quickly looked at the Mercs web site for a electric B Class. Their recommendation, is to install a 3.6kw Chargemaster Homecharge.

I was just pointing it out to the OP, that some of the chargers are not just a 13amp socket, and needs to be sure of what he's being asked to install.

I think you were Trumped @kingeri !
Just shout at her next time and don't bring your issues onto the forum! That's not what it's for! edit - (Where did my smiley go?!)

Reply to External socket for 13amp car charger lead in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock