Discuss Extraction for 4 bathrooms in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chector

Hi I'm working with a landlord who has a house with 4 bathrooms, he wants extraction in all of them. I asked Manrose what they would recommend and they came back with a whole house extraction system. It runs constantly at a trickle extraction and can then be switched to boost. This is ideal as I want the boost switched on by the light switches in the bathrooms. The extraction system has one input for switched boost. How do I get 4 light switches to independently switch the extraction unit to boost. I'm thinking I need some kind of arrangement with relays, but I'm not sure how I would do it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

So here is what I'm thinking. I obviously can't stuff all the switched lives for the bathroom lights into the boost on the fan as this will light up all the lights in all the bathroom when one light is switched. So perhaps I take all the switched lives to a relay ( i.e. 4 relays) and connect all relays to the switched live boost on the fan.

you use the pole of the switch thats not used for lighting to switch the fan on

I'm probably being a bit dim, but wouldn't that mean you either have the light on or the fan boost on but not both at the same time? I need the fan to be boosted when the light is on and to go back to trickle when the light is off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably being a bit dim, but wouldn't that mean you either have the light on or the fan boost on but not both at the same time? I need the fan to be boosted when the light is on and to go back to trickle when the light is off.

No its a simple circuit. For example feed the switch, 1 pole switches the light in that particular bathroom other pole switches the boost on the fan. Same for all four bathrooms. When the light switch is closed it closes both poles,which switches the light on for that bathroom and switches the boost for the fan.

No its a simple circuit. For example feed the switch, 1 pole switches the light in that particular bathroom other pole switches the boost on the fan. Same for all four bathrooms. When the light switch is closed it closes both poles,which switches the light on for that bathroom and switches the boost for the fan.

Thanks Lee I'm must be confusing 2 pole and 2 way switches.

My thoughts were feed fan via switched fused spur from that lighting circuit and as you will be taking a duct to each bathroom take a 3 core and cpc cable to a PIR (you can daisy chain or run to each its up to you what is easier) L,N and switch for boost

I can see where the D.P. switch idear is comming from but if you have windows you won't turn on switch for boost in day time
you will have to get cable down wall to switch also and if there is no boost timer in fan as soom as the light switch is turned off
boost will stop.
You will needto be carefull that if the bathroom door is left open when not in use the PIR is positioned /masked as not to pick up passing by

Reply to Extraction for 4 bathrooms in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock