• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss extractor fan issues (as in, it doesn't work very well) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping to get a bit of advice please:D

I'm a plumber and I've put a new fan in my bathroom. The old one was ineffective and didn't clear the steam very well. What I'd like to achieve is to be able to run a shower without the walls and mirror steaming up.

The new fan is a vent axia acm100t, the fan speed is at the highest setting and the timer overrun is running around 20 minutes after light goes off. I have situated the fan in the loft about 700mm from extraction grill (bathroom end), which is above the shower area. The ducting is insulated ducting and goes down to a soffit vent. All other soffit/roof vents within 1m of extractor vent have been blocked up to stop moisture getting back up into the roof space. I have about a 13mm gap on the bottom of the door to allow a flow of air into the bathroom..... but the walls and mirror still get steamed up, although the room doesn't fill up with steam the way it used to do. The bathroom is only about 1800mm x 1800mm.

I have just had a shower and the walls are still pretty wet . The heating isn't on at the moment as the stat downstairs is on 20 degrees.....

Any ideas would be gratefully received as I don't know what else I can do to improve the situation. :grimacing:

If you are requiring instantaneous removal of the steam / moisture, it would require quite a draught through your bathroom.

Wire in a humidistat so that the fan does not turn off until the moisture levels in the air are at an acceptable level

1. Hold a piece of toilet paper in front of the ceiling grill - if it stays there, the fan is working.

2. Don't be surprised about the moisture on the walls - that's what happens when you introduce warm moist air into a room

3. Sounds like its better than before.

4. Unless you have a bigger, or "stronger" fan nothing is likely to change.

5. Consider adding a heat mat behind the mirror...

turn the heating up, cut your shower time down to just as long as it takes to scrub up.

Thanks guys for the responses.

So am I being unreasonable to expect no steaming up at all? I thought 220 m3/he would prevent that..... providing I get the airflow? Even tried showering with door slightly ajar to see if that improved things .....and if so put in a low level vent....but it didn't.

Would changing to a acm150t sort this out (460m3/hr) as every so many months I need to fight back the start of mould..... it's not bad and is easily gotten rid of... but it's bloody annoying though

If you are trying to suck air out of the room down a 100mm dia pipe then you must have a air inlet to the room of at least an equivalent size.
otherwise your fan will just be tryin to create a vacuum in the room.

Ideally, air inlet to the room and the point where the air is extracted from the room should be on opposite sides of where the steam is created.

Are you sure that the whole run of ducting isn't pooled with condensate? If you are then as the others say!
Sometimes it seems like a fan is pulling the air but it's just trying to push it a against a big puddle of water effectively doing nought.

Are you sure that the whole run of ducting isn't pooled with condensate? If you are then as the others say!
Sometimes it seems like a fan is pulling the air but it's just trying to push it a against a big puddle of water effectively doing nought.

It's all brand new as the old fan was ineffective, the ducting is all new and runs from the fan downwards to the grills. Maybe I need a more powerful fan..... or to lower my expectations?

It's all brand new as the old fan was ineffective, the ducting is all new and runs from the fan downwards to the grills. Maybe I need a more powerful fan..... or to lower my expectations?

I can take long hot showers in my ensuite, using an in-line 100mm extractor fan, with no steaming up :eek:

Is your ducting fairly straight, with no bends & under 3m total length. Venting out through soffit always causes poor extraction IMO

Reply to extractor fan issues (as in, it doesn't work very well) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back