Discuss extractor fan issues (as in, it doesn't work very well) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hi
what you need to remember with any fan is the ducting, air will travel along the edge walls of the ducting the smoother the better.
when the fan pushes the air through the ducting any ridge or obstruction will create system pressure, air being pushed through ducting tends to roll along the edges if it hits an obstruction it will roll back on itself meaning the fan will have to work harder to overcome the system pressure until a point it just does not work.
with flexible ducting you must stretch it out as much as you can otherwise as above the ridges will make system pressure. if you can use rigid ducting & if required cover in insulation. bigger the fan the more system pressure it will handle.

another thing you might want to check is the volume of trickle vents / vents that let air into your house, you have a good fan you have a gap under the door if your ducting is stretched out properly then you need to look at the volume of trickle vents in the house. page 22 onwards approved document F.
for example 3 bed house 91-100sq meters would require 65000mm EA of trickle vents.
(>)50m3/(h.m2)at 50 Pa air permeability.

You'd need at least 4x the size of hole to intake as you do for extracting so just having the gap below the door is insufficient.

You either need to leave the door ajar a few inches, or open the window, or both. if the fan grill on the ceiling above the shower cannot hold 3-4 sheets of toilet roll to the grill then you'd likely need a more powerful fan.

The 4" mixed flow is about £53 plus vat. Just for the fan alone. These are far more powerful than the £20 inline kits.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I was hoping to get a bit of advice please:D

I'm a plumber and I've put a new fan in my bathroom. The old one was ineffective and didn't clear the steam very well. What I'd like to achieve is to be able to run a shower without the walls and mirror steaming up.

The new fan is a vent axia acm100t, the fan speed is at the highest setting and the timer overrun is running around 20 minutes after light goes off. I have situated the fan in the loft about 700mm from extraction grill (bathroom end), which is above the shower area. The ducting is insulated ducting and goes down to a soffit vent. All other soffit/roof vents within 1m of extractor vent have been blocked up to stop moisture getting back up into the roof space. I have about a 13mm gap on the bottom of the door to allow a flow of air into the bathroom..... but the walls and mirror still get steamed up, although the room doesn't fill up with steam the way it used to do. The bathroom is only about 1800mm x 1800mm.

I have just had a shower and the walls are still pretty wet . The heating isn't on at the moment as the stat downstairs is on 20 degrees.....

Any ideas would be gratefully received as I don't know what else I can do to improve the situation. :grimacing:
Hello I am new too. I am sorry to post thread but I cannot seem to find where I start a thread myself as I have a question to ask! Help

Hello I am new too. I am sorry to post thread but I cannot seem to find where I start a thread myself as I have a question to ask! Help
At very top of the page, hit the button that says
"FORUMS"
then you'll get a new screen. Hit the button that says
"START NEW THREAD"

select the forum you want to post in.

Simples!!

Hi there.
If it's any help, all we tend to install is the greenwood Airvac. I've got them in my house for bathrooms and utility. Solid, insulated ducting vented to soffits and they do the job fine. Built in humidistat is a plus. Might be worth a look if you end up changing.

"I think we're gonna need a bigger fan"

extractor fan issues (as in, it doesn't work very well) IMG_0824.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to extractor fan issues (as in, it doesn't work very well) in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock