Discuss Extractor fan wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

From memory those ones specify a fuse, as they don't have an internal thermal cut out. Personally I follow manufacturer's installation guide too :) .

Last edited:
Can't find a reg that says you must do either. But if the MIs say you should then you should.
But as I say, on a standard domestic lighting circuit, electrically, its pointless.

PS, you can get a FUSED 3-POLE ISOLATOR

Those 3 pole isolators are doubtful for compliance as they can only fuse one of the lives, not both........

some fans MI call for a fuse only on the perm L though.

You fuse through incoming live so covers permanent and switch.
It is up to the installer to make that happen though!

I've seen them installed where these switches are "downstream" of the light switch so they are only fusing on of the lives ..............

We all know that a 3A BS 1362 cartridge fuse is highly unlikely to blow before a BS 60898 MCB trips .

I find it better to supply fans which don't need fuses.

Reply to Extractor fan wiring help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

1964 house old style wiring Need to wire a extractor fan up Is it possible to wire the extractor fan to report switch there's 2 red wires in the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm swapping my extractor fan in the UK and I have bought a Turkish extractor fan stupidly and the connections you can see in the picture...
Replies
Views
Need to replace an old Vent-Axia extractor fan as the pull chord no longer works. I bought this -...
Replies
Views
Thinking a 240V AC relay activated by two independent light switches could be used to switch power to a shared inline extractor fan. The fan...
Replies
Views
Hi Customer has an extractor fan that’s inside the shower cubicle high up on the wall. The extractor fan has no form of isolation and is wired...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock