Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Extractor fans that don't need a fuse in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Hi all,

I've been trying to find fans that don't require fusing down according to the instructions.

Can anyone recommend any please?

These are just replacements and I'm trying to keep the cost down for the customer so if I can avoid extra work to install fuses etc. I'd like to.

Thanks

SC

2. johnduffell

johnduffell Regular EF Member

Are they run off a 6A lighting circuit? I know it doesn't answer your question, but EDIT I think I misremembered - 3A fuse operates quicker than 6A MCB for overload currents - 7A would blow a 3A fuse in 0.05 seconds but would take 3600 for the 6A MCB to trip.
    However although there's no need to follow the manufacturer's instructions, life is probably easier further down the line if you don't have to explain that.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

S&p

Greencroft

Are 2 that spring to mind

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

The only time I fuse down a fan is if it’s spurred from a ring circuit. If it’s fed from a lighting circuit then it’s usually protected by a 6 amp mcb so as already said the mcb will most likely trip before the fuse ever blows

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    Thanks Murdoch. Found the S&P ones, any chance you could point me in the direction of the other one as I can't seem to find it on-line.

Thanks

6. Murdoch

Greenwood

Sorry:)

But it’s daft this 3a fuse thing .....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick

And yes, it's a pain in the posterior. It's alright saying it's only guidance, but who amongst us fancies their chances arguing the **** with someone in court? Personally, I don't, so I prefer to follow the MIs, it's just an excuse to off-load their responsibilities.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Murdoch

I took this 3A issue up with icon .... needless to say they wouldn’t budge ....... 6A MCB versus 3A 1362 ..... just goes to show how little manufacturers know .. and understand

• Like Like x 4
  9. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - here's one I used a while back. It's Vent Axia, but I don't think all their 100mm models have their own internal fuse like this one, which is why I took a pic .

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  10. johnduffell

johnduffell Regular EF Member

I thought the same from memory but after checking it doesn't seem to apply to overload current. Do manufacturers specify a 1362 fuse for overload protection eg shorted windings as well?

11. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Vortice

Envirovent (the Silent 100 is an absolutely cracking fan, far better extraction rates than any other 100mm Axial fan I've come across)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Hard to see but is the fuse soldered onto the pcb or is it replaceable ?

13. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

Envirovent are very good fans. They are another trading name for S&P. Same fans.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SparkyChick

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    It's a lead ended axial, soldered onto the PCB. Replaceable if you can wield desoldering gear :)

Edit - But to be fair, if it fails I suspect the fans a write off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy78

Andy78 Forum Mentor

My fat fingers and poor eyesight would see me replacing the fan

• Funny Funny x 2