Discuss Extraneous conductive part as bonding conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Been nosying about at my brother's new house this week and fixing a few bits and bobs. The electrical installation mainly dates back to the early 80's at a guess and apart from a few broken accessories and a lack of RCD protection (now fixed) it has all checked out okay. PME earthing.

Today I've had a proper look at the supply to his metal shed. The shed is literally next to the house. It is supplied by a run of approx 2m of 1.5mm^2 T&E in flexible plastic conduit that goes from the cellar straight to the shed. This wouldn't have been my first choice but it is what it is. In the shed is a double socket and a light which is fused down to 3A. The cable is fed from a 16A RCBO in the house and is fused down before leaving the cellar at 13A. There is a copper pipe supplying a tap in the shed. I have verified that this is copper through its whole length and joins to the cold water pipe in the cellar which is bonded. Now, this is my main point, as the shed is metal it should be bonded with 10mm^2 back to the MET. This is not the case. However, the copper pipe is bonded inside the shed to the shed in 10mm^2. I think this is actually okay, according to 543.2.1. The copper pipe in itself the bonding conductor. Or am I stretching it a bit? Any comments on this or what I have described in general are invited!

Few years ago we had to bond an oil service in a warehouse. The intake was a considerable distance away so we just used less than one metre of conductor to the adjacent structural steelwork. The structure obviously had a main protective bond.

Few years ago we had to bond an oil service in a warehouse. The intake was a considerable distance away so we just used less than one metre of conductor to the adjacent structural steelwork. The structure obviously had a main protective bond.
That’ll be another ‘yes’ then!

We've done similar with oil services. In fact, in one situation, the steel pipework is securely fixed for about 10m to the structural steelwork and so, to my mind is 'solid' and therefore 'bonded'.

Reply to Extraneous conductive part as bonding conductor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net