Discuss Facepalm .... job I went to. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Got called out to wire in a compressor 11kw for a guy just rented out a new build so agreed to meet on sight.

I met him there and after expressing the compressor requires a Star/Delta starter and a ball park figure £300 for the unit just to give him cost idea he said he'd he had seen one in B&Q for £42 quid ... a chuckle and smile later i expressed he was mistaken ..anyway drifting off the main point here... checking out the supply to this building things started to unravel very quickly ... it was a 5 set of commercial/industrial units approx 200m^2 and each had a 10mm 4core supply to a 3ph dist board that came from an adjacent garage owned by the same landlord.

The set-up is this 100amp TNS 3phase supply for 2 existing units large enough for 3 bays/car ramps and 4 to 5 staff in each unit, tapped off this same supply the new builds had a 100amp isolator (fuse ratings not confirmed) and a 16mm 4core swa surface for approx 35-40m to a 3ph dist board...
-5 x 50amp (c) TP mcb run into respective 5 landlord polyphase meters...
- out of the meters each unit was wired in a 10mm swa the furthest one 30m run

No incoming bonding on the original water pipe in the existing.
ELI at the nearest unit 8m run (the one im in) was o.46ohms so not compliant.
The grey phase had no voltage on it.
No fly-lead from the swa to DB earth block or bolt
No nut on the earthring bolt
The upstream isolator has each phase drilled through aseparate grommeted hole in a metal termination plate.

Had to walk away ... I expressed i couldn't safely do the work and sign it off and spoke to his landlord about my findings.. nice guy and a little shocked, he said he was NICEIC approved too i was told and he may meet up with me to redesign the install correctly.

If I do go back Im going to pic' log all the problem and poor design and forward it to the NICEIC and see if they are up to their word of striking off this kind of member or from experience just going to slap his hand with a warning... Im not getting my hopes up it never worked before.

One thing is for sure ive rustled some big feathers today and expect some feed back :chinese:

Got called out to wire in a compressor 11kw for a guy just rented out a new build so agreed to meet on sight.

I met him there and after expressing the compressor requires a Star/Delta starter and a ball park figure £300 for the unit just to give him cost idea he said he'd he had seen one in B&Q for £42 quid ... a chuckle and smile later i expressed he was mistaken ..anyway drifting off the main point here... checking out the supply to this building things started to unravel very quickly ... it was a 5 set of commercial/industrial units approx 200m^2 and each had a 10mm 4core supply to a 3ph dist board that came from an adjacent garage owned by the same landlord.

The set-up is this 100amp TNS 3phase supply for 2 existing units large enough for 3 bays/car ramps and 4 to 5 staff in each unit, tapped off this same supply the new builds had a 100amp isolator (fuse ratings not confirmed) and a 16mm 4core swa surface for approx 35-40m to a 3ph dist board...
-5 x 50amp (c) TP mcb run into respective 5 landlord polyphase meters...
- out of the meters each unit was wired in a 10mm swa the furthest one 30m run

No incoming bonding on the original water pipe in the existing.
ELI at the nearest unit 8m run (the one im in) was o.46ohms so not compliant.
The grey phase had no voltage on it.
No fly-lead from the swa to DB earth block or bolt
No nut on the earthring bolt
The upstream isolator has each phase drilled through aseparate grommeted hole in a metal termination plate.

Had to walk away ... I expressed i couldn't safely do the work and sign it off and spoke to his landlord about my findings.. nice guy and a little shocked, he said he was NICEIC approved too i was told and he may meet up with me to redesign the install correctly.

If I do go back Im going to pic' log all the problem and poor design and forward it to the NICEIC and see if they are up to their word of striking off this kind of member or from experience just going to slap his hand with a warning... Im not getting my hopes up it never worked before.

One thing is for sure ive rustled some big feathers today and expect some feed back :chinese:

The thing is that landlord will remember you now so is more likely to recommend

Last edited:
Nice one mate, about time someone exposed some of these cowboys, although not sure if the NICEIC will do much it will cost them dosh, good luck anyway

Nice one mate, about time someone exposed some of these cowboys, although not sure if the NICEIC will do much it will cost them dosh, good luck anyway
you what?

not meeting times?

not taking into consideration electro-magnetic effects?

no main bonding?

etc etc...

Let us know how it goes on Dark...

would be nice to see the appropriate response from the national inspection council for electrical installation contracting...

given a properly discounted quote for a complete rewire in my area, but mentioned that i wont be touching it till they call dno to change that nail, broken plastic and a bit of tape in the service head into a proper fuse... . well, never get the job.

Would be interesting to know if they did impart any kind of discipline...because if they flirted him,it would be the first....I have attended a lot of installations that time served signed up scheme sparkies have designed and done,and some are incredible. How about a TP+N SWA submain 400m long TNCS, armour to MET one end,connected to steel cabinet at other end,then 10mm straight to TT rod...I wonder how many other similar set-ups he has installed,cos'his advert states "25 years experience..." My own personal view is not to get frothy,breathe deep,submit ideas,move on...

Would be interesting to know if they did impart any kind of discipline...because if they flirted him,it would be the first....I have attended a lot of installations that time served signed up scheme sparkies have designed and done,and some are incredible. How about a TP+N SWA submain 400m long TNCS, armour to MET one end,connected to steel cabinet at other end,then 10mm straight to TT rod...I wonder how many other similar set-ups he has installed,cos'his advert states "25 years experience..." My own personal view is not to get frothy,breathe deep,submit ideas,move on...

There are many ex electricians mates, passing themselves off as ''Time Served'' electricians with 25 years or whatever experience. Do some investigative work, and you'll probably find he's not time served, and hasn't ever held any meaningful qualifications.

Apart from anything else, it just goes to show how meaningless and pointless it is, being registered with any of the scheme providers. Being the holder of a scheme LOGO, proves and/or means less than Nothing!! lol!!

Reply to Facepalm .... job I went to. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net