Discuss Failed indicator stalk in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Flashless Sierra

Good morning, everybody. I have just registered on these forums in order that I might seek some advice re a car electrics issue. I am not an electrician so I have not bothered introducing myself on the welcome page. Hopefully this is acceptable.

I am trying to help an elderly friend get his motor (Ford Sierra Mk III 1992 2.0i auto), which has been out of use but garaged for a couple of years, ready for an MOT. One thing that is proving to be problematic is the indicator stalk which has failed completely on the LH and only flashes for three or four times on the RH. We sought a replacement item off the interweb but though it fits perfectly it operates slightly differently - our stalk also provides headlamp flash when pulled and switches headlamps on when pushed whereas the replacement only controls the indicators. It looks as if obtaining an exact replacement stalk is going to be problematic so I was considering whether the existing item could be properly repaired. Is this something that an auto electrician could do? Or perhaps a computer technician who deals with PCBs and uses solder etc? Perhaps the idea of the latter gives some the heebie-jeebies.

In the photo you can see the 3 screws. Is it worth removing these for further inspection (not that my friend could do much himself)? By the way we are over 100 miles apart so I do not have direct access to the vehicle. He is in Lowestoft.

Though the car has not been exposed to the outside elements whilst it has been laid-up the garage does suffer from damp and I wonder if this might be attributable to the problem described. That said the general car electrics appear fine and there is no issue with starting the engine etc.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
:)

Failed indicator stalk IMG_4116.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

If you cannot get the correct switch it is an easy fix by intercepting the indicator switch wiring and fitting One of these
.http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Produ...ign=Switches&gclid=CLP_h_f4zc8CFcWVGwodd4wJoA
This does require a bit of basic knowledge , but should be a piece of cake to a local garage.#
Don't worry it is not the end of the world.
It is strange that if the car was parked up with the indicators working that the stalk has failed standing .
It could be that corrosion around the terminals at the extremities have failed or corrosion in connector blocks.
Taking a live to the out side of both stalk terminals in turn will prove the circuits if the lamps light up.
Have you tried the hazard warning lights , these should work irrespective of the stalk , and save you the bother of the last test.

Sorry I should have made clear in the OP that the hazards work perfectly well. In fact the item we obtained off of the web operated the indicators correctly but obviously would not function where the headlamps were concerned.

Yes, it is odd that the stalk has stopped operating simply after a long period of inactivity. If there is corrosion around the stalk’s terminals or connector blocks could this not be fixed in anyway? If not then at least we can go with your suggestion of obtaining the toggle-switch.Thanks for the response.

Something you could try, is to squirt WD40 into the insides of the mechanism, then operate the stalk back and forth a few times.
These usually have some grease inside.
It may be, that the grease has hardened preventing good contact.

WD40 is certainly worth a shot but he has already tried an electric cleaner spray though not sure what actual brand this would be. Thanks for the help, though.

There may be no power to the stalk, Ford fuse boxes went through a spell where they were badly affected by corrosion , and the inline connector blocks were not great either .
When a stalk is U/S it usually feels indecisive to sloppy. The hardened grease might be a good call , as there looks to be an abundance of grease around the hazard switch. Check for a live at the switch , and if you have one , bridge it across to the out sides of the stalk to bypass the switch , if the flashers work it will prove the switch does not. Going of what you have said the flasher unit was working . I cannot remember if the Sierra had one or two units. Some cars did not have combined hazard/flasher units.
As spin has said , it could be solid grease . If the degreaser does not work try gentle heat with a hair drier , not a paint stripper gun. also wait until the propellants have evaporated because they are highly flammable now.

Just re read your reply . The power to the switch must be ok as the replacement switch operated the flashers , so ignore the obvious references, it's late lol.

Just re read your reply . The power to the switch must be ok as the replacement switch operated the flashers , so ignore the obvious references, it's late lol.

I was far too polite to say but thanks anyway. :)

telectrix said:

The first link looked interesting but inputting the Sierra details sadly drew a blank. Registered with 247 so will wait and see. Thanks greatly. :)

Reply to Failed indicator stalk in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock