Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Fair Wage for my skill set? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Alright guys, I just wanted to know what you would pay me if I were working for you. Been working 4-5 years doing general electrics. House bashing, fire alarm systems, data cables, antennas, etc. Can safely say I can rewire a house on my own; ringmains, lighting, kitchens, outside lighting, SWA if that's the case, consumer units. Fairly competent if someone asked me to do a fire alarm panel. Intercoms. I can have a go at cameras but need more experience in data cables. Nothing to coax and TV's really. Performance in work I'd say I was enthusiastic, more so than the boss that can be lazy and an arsehole at times. I'm in my 3rd year of college and I will do my 18th edition when it comes out and my AM2 along with completing my portfolio. Not driving yet as I have never needed to. Got most of my own tools within reason. Haha. Just wanted to know what you think I would be worth, had to write an essay because I know it's hard to know someone's value without seeing them work but I've been as honest as I can. Thanks lads

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I would start you on £7.50 per hour. If you were ok then £10.00 per hour. If you can do what you say you can do and don't go around bad-mouthing the people that employ you maybe £15.00 per hour. If you got really good £25.00 per hour. i.e. you can fully test and inspect and issue certificates and actually know what you are talking about.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Okay, good to know! Haha. I'm fairly competent at testing and inspecting and I can fill in certs. Could do with more practice I guess. My boss usually does them but I can go around and do tests and write them in a diary or paper no problem.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    agree roughly with vorti. there is one thing you left out in your OP though. can you make a decent brew? ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I've done my fair share of tea boy duties! I'm sure I can make a solid brew! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Just by the composition of your post you appear pretty switched on. Set up your business down here in Surrey and I'll come and work for you! Keep doing what your doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yipeeeeee !!!!! another scouser on the forum. now we'll give them southerners a kicking. :):):):):).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Haha! Cheers mate. I just need to build up my confidence in knowing for sure I can do things. Boss always putting me down and trying to hold my hand giving me the shite jobs, but when he leaves me on jobs he is always made up with my work and speed and so are the customers and other lads on site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Hahaha is right lid!!! Go ed ;)

10. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    confidence is bred into all scousers, we know we're the best. stuff your boss's attitude.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

Technically your still an apprentice, so I would pay you £2.80 an hour and bank the rest for my holiday in the Maldives. You could get £12 an hour around my way if you competed your portfolio and NVQ. You seem switched on but until your working competently by yourself you won't fetch much past £10 an hour. Pricing where I live is tight.

As for the driving you shouldn't rely on others to transport you about at your age. Your boss can't throw you out on your own for the day to test you if you can't drive. That will lower your employability

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Only on £50 a day. Just feel like I should be on more by now. Just needed a clue of what I was worth. Don't think I'll leave him for less than £90 I couldn't justify letting him down. He'd have to find someone shite and start all over with them and I don't think he has the patience. Hahaha

13. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    £90 /day seems more realistic than £50. your boss is taking the proverbial. £50 for 8 hours is below minimum wage, so he's breaking the law.

14. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I agree to be fair. I definitely need to be driving but money's tight with a kid and rent and all that. Need to sort it though. Just lucky he lives right by me

15. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

He's a third year apprentice so minimum wage is a lot less, around the £3 mark I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Yeah I think someone has convinced him to give me 60 because wage is going up soon... Whenever he wants I dunno.

17. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Wrong. You do need to, make it your next and most important objective. As @LankyWill@LankyWill noted (which I missed) it is a p.i.t.a to have to sort out improvers/workers transport, especially as you are grown up. That would downgrade my wage structure above for a start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I'm 25 so minimum wage isn't 3 pound an hour at all. I'm an apprentice but I get an adults wage, legally.

19. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I agree mate. It's really difficult at the moment but it's gonna be my next investment. Get my driving sorted and all. He has never minded picking me up and we usually work together so it's never been an issue. But it has hindered me in a way.

20. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

£90 seems way too much, I may sound like a tight barsteward. I was on £24 a day doing 12 hour shifts when I was an apprentice. I had to drive myself to the yard in the morning, and sort my 33 year old bosses life out. I felt like his psychiatrist in the end, but eventually when I passed my am2 I moved straight up to £120 a day. Then I was working as his subby doing fixes myself for him. I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds you if your not far off qualifying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

No There is a NMW for a 1st year apprentice which is currently £3.50 an hour. Any apprentice who has completed their 1st year and aged 19 and over is entitled to NMW for their age. 18-20 age bracket is £5.60, 21-24 is £7.05 and 25+ is £7.50.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    I think if you could drive it would open up your opportunities' is there any reason may I ask you can't drive. Are you happy working for this guy but just the money you're not happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Amen @LankyWill@LankyWill! Aha. Glad to hear you also been through difficult time with the boss! Aha. @anthonybragg@anthonybragg I'm disappointed with the money I'm getting because I know if I went with someone else I could get a bit more, but it's not worth leaving for. Me and my boss don't see eye to eye all the time. I take my time, he rushes, I'm laid back, he's a stress head, he won't help me but I'm a gofer, he will watch me struggle and give me ****, but if he is struggling it's my fault for some reason. He doesn't teach me, I teach myself. If I make a mistake I'm a liability, if he makes a mistake it's my fault. You know, that kind of guy...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

And I can't drive because everything has always been within reach, I need my provisional

25. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Gorilla Whisperer Electrician's Arms

Nope. My minimum wage Is 5.60 and as a fellow 3rd year I feel your pain. Try running a car on this wage :(
    Bring on July next year.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Exactly mate! Couldn't agree more. Can't wait until next year. As long as I smash my portfolio out now I will be sweet

27. D00DY_T00DY

Lots of photos little motivation to write it all up :D
    What percentage you on? I don't wanna say it's shocking lol

28. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Haha! Tell me about it bro. I've only just completed my first write up now, starting another next week! Can't be as bad as me bro. Ahaha :D

29. D00DY_T00DY

Handful of write ups and two on site visits :D better take an hour out to get it sorted.
    Boss won't let training provider come for a visit says it takes too long ..

• Like Like x 1
  30. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Haha! Crap init mate. They want you to do better and be better at your work, but in the same respect they haven't got time for you to help you take pics or have an inspection. Feel awkward having to ask! Haha. Wish I was with someone that was a bit more easy going

• Agree Agree x 1
  31. darkwood

darkwood For it is a human number, its number is 666 Staff Member Electrician's Arms

I started of on £27 quid a week on an apprenticeship, it was in the late 80's so equates to about £50 a week now accounting for inflation and you think even on £3.50 an hour is having it bad, yer don't know yer born lad! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  32. hightower

hightower Electrician's Arms

That kind of guy would be getting the middle finger (and a good scudding depending on my mood). I wouldn't even entertain that sort of attitude for a good wage, let alone the wage you're on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  33. D00DY_T00DY

£20 a day for half a year then upto £30 but bacon butties, a laugh and easy going. And time to read a book on the bus to Leeds! :D

• Like Like x 1
  34. KennyKen

KennyKen Electrician's Arms

That's northern wages for ya... down south (London) you could probably double that...

• Like Like x 1
  35. D00DY_T00DY

Just one problem... you have to go down south ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  36. KennyKen

London was full of northerners who worked down there. Some companies even pay for Digs

37. Diddy

Diddy Regular EF Member

Be careful is all I would say, sometimes our own echo chamber (friends and family) can give us an exaggerated value of our worth. Be realistic too, You are a 3rd year/stage apprentice and will most probably be getting charged out as such. I think to imply that you have "taught yourself" well that may be being a bit blinkered lol.....Someone has to show you to start with mate. Don't get me wrong we ALL felt like you do when doing our apprenticeship ect but keep your head down and keep applying yourself and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about in a couple of years.
    I would also get my driving lessons done if I were in your position...It will increase your value to any employer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  38. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Another way to look at it is - think how much it would have cost you if you had to pay someone to teach you and give you the opportunity to learn what you have .
    loyalty is an attribute as well. Many get taught , then jack and go for the highest bid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  39. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Same here Doody! Hahaha. I've been working on and off sparking since I was 16. Think I only went up to 30 from 20 when I was 20! Fair Di's though, I was ****

40. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Thanks for everyone's input, definitely taken everything on board. Just gonna stick it out. I've done it for this long, I can last another year or two no problem! Don't get me wrong, I've been taught how to do things for sure. But what I mean is when it comes to fault finding or how wiring systems work, I've always had to figure that out for myself because he hasn't got the patience.

41. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Rent costs half as much up North, so swings and roundabouts

42. KennyKen

Maybe ask for a raise? Or just bite the bullet until you're qualified. I've been there and I'm sure the rest of the blokes and sparkie chick on here have been there too.

• Like Like x 1
  43. D00DY_T00DY

Recently been given more responsibility. I'm now on fuse board duty.
    Offered to fit a 12way board on a Sunday for £70 :eek: suppose how good a wage it is depends on how long it takes me. 4hours maybe?

(Just fitting, not testing it as well)

• Like Like x 1
  44. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

He's putting me up to 60 a day so I'm happy with that for another year. Hopefully get my driving done shortly and I'll be more valuable and I can ask for another raise, which will hopefully go a fair way of maintaining my van! That's my plan

45. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Yeah mate, I'd give half a day to do a board. And 70 quid is cheap and you know it!!! Haha. My boss is doing board change and certs for 300 quid