Discuss Fair Wage for my skill set? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He's a third year apprentice so minimum wage is a lot less, around the £3 mark I think
No There is a NMW for a 1st year apprentice which is currently £3.50 an hour. Any apprentice who has completed their 1st year and aged 19 and over is entitled to NMW for their age. 18-20 age bracket is £5.60, 21-24 is £7.05 and 25+ is £7.50.

I think if you could drive it would open up your opportunities' is there any reason may I ask you can't drive. Are you happy working for this guy but just the money you're not happy with.

Amen @LankyWill! Aha. Glad to hear you also been through difficult time with the boss! Aha. @anthonybragg I'm disappointed with the money I'm getting because I know if I went with someone else I could get a bit more, but it's not worth leaving for. Me and my boss don't see eye to eye all the time. I take my time, he rushes, I'm laid back, he's a stress head, he won't help me but I'm a gofer, he will watch me struggle and give me ----, but if he is struggling it's my fault for some reason. He doesn't teach me, I teach myself. If I make a mistake I'm a liability, if he makes a mistake it's my fault. You know, that kind of guy...

Haha! Crap init mate. They want you to do better and be better at your work, but in the same respect they haven't got time for you to help you take pics or have an inspection. Feel awkward having to ask! Haha. Wish I was with someone that was a bit more easy going

I started of on £27 quid a week on an apprenticeship, it was in the late 80's so equates to about £50 a week now accounting for inflation and you think even on £3.50 an hour is having it bad, yer don't know yer born lad! :rolleyes:

I started of on £27 quid a week on an apprenticeship, it was in the late 80's so equates to about £50 a week now accounting for inflation and you think even on £3.50 an hour is having it bad, yer don't know yer born lad! :rolleyes:
£20 a day for half a year then upto £30 but bacon butties, a laugh and easy going. And time to read a book on the bus to Leeds! :D

Only on £50 a day. Just feel like I should be on more by now. Just needed a clue of what I was worth. Don't think I'll leave him for less than £90 I couldn't justify letting him down. He'd have to find someone rubbish and start all over with them and I don't think he has the patience. Hahaha

That's northern wages for ya... down south (London) you could probably double that...

Be careful is all I would say, sometimes our own echo chamber (friends and family) can give us an exaggerated value of our worth. Be realistic too, You are a 3rd year/stage apprentice and will most probably be getting charged out as such. I think to imply that you have "taught yourself" well that may be being a bit blinkered lol.....Someone has to show you to start with mate. Don't get me wrong we ALL felt like you do when doing our apprenticeship ect but keep your head down and keep applying yourself and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about in a couple of years.
I would also get my driving lessons done if I were in your position...It will increase your value to any employer.

Another way to look at it is - think how much it would have cost you if you had to pay someone to teach you and give you the opportunity to learn what you have .
loyalty is an attribute as well. Many get taught , then jack and go for the highest bid.

Same here Doody! Hahaha. I've been working on and off sparking since I was 16. Think I only went up to 30 from 20 when I was 20! Fair Di's though, I was ----

Thanks for everyone's input, definitely taken everything on board. Just gonna stick it out. I've done it for this long, I can last another year or two no problem! Don't get me wrong, I've been taught how to do things for sure. But what I mean is when it comes to fault finding or how wiring systems work, I've always had to figure that out for myself because he hasn't got the patience.

Reply to Fair Wage for my skill set? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net