Discuss Fairford synergy soft start unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PROBLEM! Having built the panel I got round to connecting it up today, on starting the motor it started fine but then I got a line failure fault, long story short it has eaten its way through 6x 100A semiconductor fuses due to starting current. The 125A fuses had a 6 week lead time and I had to take 10 at the Costner of around £400, I am reluctant to buy these as I think they may blow aswell, starting to see why maybe they state 250A. I have successfully had 45kw motors run on 80A BS88 just fine (star delta starter)

Any suggestions? I could do without having to upgrade the panel sizes, I have 25mm tri rated feeding a main contactor 55kw then 10mm tri rated to soft start and motor terminals (wired inside delta)

The whole panel is running from a 50mm 4 core with 125A motor rated fuses (these have been fine) I’m tempted to try some standard motor rated fused just to get it running.

Fairford synergy soft start unit CB495BA7-67FA-49FE-954F-C00DE7B338D9 - EletriciansForums.net

Fairford synergy soft start unit 58EBF2F8-E580-47C8-A27A-491FDE7D531F - EletriciansForums.net

What do you mean by a line failure fault? Is this a fault code given on the soft start?

Try with normal fuses if you like, however if there is an actual fault, they will not blow fast enough to protect the thyristor stacks in the SS>

Yes it’s a fault code given by the soft start and drops out the line contactor on phase failure.

Rob I understand this, I wasn’t thinking of a long term solution however I can’t see anyway round it without upgrading to much larger fuse.

I would prefer a mccb tbh.

Rob, the OP has 4 off Pilz safety relays in the panel, and a single point of failure for the motor contactor, I'm surprised you haven't queried that yet?
I have to say though, I've seen a LOT worse panels from companies who are supposedly experts at panel building. A very good job.

OP: I would make sure that you do your 13849 analysis and validations though to make sure that you meet the PLr for the hazards.
A single monitored contactor, may, not be enough. If it's monitored which it seems to be, then make sure that it's force guided, along with the auxiliaries, and that they are direct acting, and mechanically linked to the main contacts.
Oh and remember clause 13.1.1 in EN 60204-1 with regard to cable entries into the top of enclosures...
It's not worded like that, but if you read it, you should see what I mean.

Believe me this is a vast improvement of safety than previous panels designed by the manager. The single motor contactor and soft start operates a totally enclosed positive displacement blower a single contactor is adequate it poses virtually no hazards

Fairford synergy soft start unit F37F746C-F16E-4A4B-9ABC-702AD260C9F4 - EletriciansForums.net

Fairford synergy soft start unit 3BFDEE8D-2209-4BB7-A31F-E287CD6C8ACB - EletriciansForums.net

Fairford synergy soft start unit 23BB2769-6B75-4877-9571-45ACC286BA47 - EletriciansForums.net

Think I might have been a bit thick, the starting current limit is set at it’s default of 3.5 or 350% FLC, i will reduce this and see what happens, the only worry is that the pump can be quite hard to start so it might trip however you can switch start current limit trip off. There are all sorts of setting such as kick starts

There are conveyors and elevators with inspection doors, e stops etc.

OK, so there are hazards then & ISO 13850 requires PLc against ISO 13849.
This is a new control system, thus it requires a DoI, and the completed system a DoC.
So you need to validate against ISO 13849, and you need to be able to provide a Technical File if requested.
Conveyors probably have their own HD, depending on the elevators, they probably will also.

Yes but not in relation to the blower which you pointed out it has single point failure, my point is it does not require a second contactor, all the other motors have dual redundancy in the way of k10 and the individual DOL contactors.

The elevators and conveyors were moved from an existing plant and are circa 40 years old.

This thread is not about the requirement of 602041 or iso 13850, it is about the issue with the soft start.

Reply to Fairford synergy soft start unit in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock