Discuss Fake JIB Cards and City & Guilds Qualifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score
Today we have been contacted by another company based in Essex who in the past we have supplied subcontract work to.

They employed a "fake" spark in May this year who's qualifications and JIB card were high quality fakes.

The company who employ a moderate amount of staff, know what a real JIB card and C&G Certs look like were taken in.
The JIB card was a "top notch" fake compete with hologram (It's probably better quality than mine then... Think the JIB ran out of colour ink when printing mine!!)

I've seen a scanned copy of the JIB card and I would have said it was REAL.

I'm not too sure on the C & G certs as they weren't attached to the email, but we got the impression after my boss had a chat with the company owner they were older style (Typewriter font) certificates.

He only got rumbled because he DID NOT HAVE A CLUE. They gave him a few weeks to settle in, but it was obvious that he'd "not even done a 5 day course".

Just be aware of the VERY GOOD QUALITY FAKES out there!!

PS I'm glad this is today and not last week.... Or this would have been turned into yet another JIB slagging threads, by certain now ex members.

Last edited:
He didn't have a clue so they gave him a few weeks to settle in....

Looks like someone's got some inspection and testing to do!

You're right RWJ, you can tell a genuine JIB card by the abysmal quality and the fact that after 2 weeks in your back pocket, most of the print has worn off!

I know my JIB card is real becuase of the photo, I look like a 1970s p#rn star ! lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't have a clue so they gave him a few weeks to settle in....

Looks like someone's got some inspection and testing to do!

You're right RWJ, you can tell a genuine JIB card by the abysmal quality and the fact that after 2 weeks in your back pocket, most of the print has worn off!

Don't think they ever let him loose on his own to be honest!....... I just pray they didn't!!

Forgot to add.
He'd previously worked for a Coventry Electrical contractor.... That bit wasn't fake and check out!!... again I'm not privy to all the information.

Just warning people mainly in ESSEX and SUFFOLK if a guy comes looking for a job with initials P.B. that's previously worked in Coventry.... BEWARE!!!!
Can't really give more information than that (data protection, red tape, get my rear kicked YET again etc)

This is why mini assessments at interviews and inductions should be more enforced.

Couldn't agree more.... I'm sure my boss wouldn't have employed him... He'd have caught him out at interview...

Plus he makes us do 17th update papers or other rubbish once a quarter... just so he can have a good moan if you dare get a question wrong.THANKS KEITH!!

Did they pay him any wages ? Hope not. Plus fraud is a criminal offence, I know it might sound daft but Criminal Investigation Department do take situations like this seriously.

Did they pay him any wages ? Hope not. Plus fraud is a criminal offence, I know it might sound daft but Criminal Investigation Department do take situations like this seriously.

I don't know about wages?
The police, JIB and City and Guilds are all involved.

The scariest part is how easy it must be to get hold of these fakes, and if he knew one end of a megger to the other he'd probably still be working.

Anybody that is employing and believes the certs are fake check the personal reference number at the bottom of each cert. Each C&G student has their own, an 8 digit letters and numbers just before the persons date of birth, eg:- ********/ABC1234/Z/01/01/70. In each cert these digits should be the same, check the persons DOB from his cert against his cv or application form and if you really want to you can call C&G with his ref number and they will tell you what qualifications he has. Hope that helps someone.

Anybody that is employing and believes the certs are fake check the personal reference number at the bottom of each cert. Each C&G student has their own, an 8 digit letters and numbers just before the persons date of birth, eg:- ********/ABC1234/Z/01/01/70. In each cert these digits should be the same, check the persons DOB from his cert against his cv or application form and if you really want to you can call C&G with his ref number and they will tell you what qualifications he has. Hope that helps someone.

Good detection........

How ever mine are different

My 2391 has one ref
and my 17th has another

The first section of the number is the date you took the exam DDMMYY
then the qual 2391-10
Then another 6 numbers - both different on mine (always thought this was the centre exam taken at) CENTRE NUMBER
Then another 8 numbers / letters - again different on mine ENROLMENT NO
Then M - Which I thought was denoting Male?
The DOB

Just found "Notification of candidate results" for the 2391 , I've updated the above in RED with my findings

Last edited:
Surely a quick call/fax to JIB/SJIB with NY number would clarify weather or not the potential employee is bona fide. As far as I am concerned that's what they are there for and until they (JIB) can update the cards so that they cant be faked then they should accept that they will get calls to enquire the validity of cards. A simple database that member companies could log into would sort the problem as well.

Surely a quick call/fax to JIB/SJIB with NY number would clarify weather or not the potential employee is bona fide. As far as I am concerned that's what they are there for and until they (JIB) can update the cards so that they cant be faked then they should accept that they will get calls to enquire the validity of cards. A simple database that member companies could log into would sort the problem as well.

They are bringing in smart cards.... I posted a thread about three months ago (So that means I've forgotten the details!!!!)

Well CSCS are JIB aren't as yet it seems

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...m/33370-cscs-smart-card-combat-forgeries.html

Last edited:
Good detection........

How ever mine are different

My 2391 has one ref
and my 17th has another

The first section of the number is the date you took the exam DDMMYY
then the qual 2391-10
Then another 6 numbers - both different on mine (always thought this was the centre exam taken at) CENTRE NUMBER
Then another 8 numbers / letters - again different on mine ENROLMENT NO
Then M - Which I thought was denoting Male?
The DOB

Just found "Notification of candidate results" for the 2391 , I've updated the above in RED with my findings

My 1977 and 1979 B and C certs are written in some form of ancient Anglo Saxon. Reference numbers ..............what are they, My middle name is spelt different on each one ........................so I'm snookered

They are bringing in smart cards.... I posted a thread about three months ago (So that means I've forgotten the details!!!!)

Well CSCS are JIB aren't as yet it seems

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...m/33370-cscs-smart-card-combat-forgeries.html

Probably 5 years late but a good idea, also, the card reader software is a free download too, just leaving the cost of a usb card reader (about £15.00).

All in all, not a bad little investment in the battle to show competency of your workforce.

I dont think any company has ever checked my certificates properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This system must have been running for at least 5 years, I've no idea what the certs said before thus time. I'm just waiting for someone to pop up and say they qualified so long ago that their cert is in Egyptian hieroglyphics and what does a beatle + a stork+ a bird + a spynx equal? :)

This is one of the most important reasons for having a (genuine) JIB card, an employer just reads off the qualifications on the reverse of the card, knowing that the JIB have verified the certification with City & Guilds-job done.

There are so many different qualification titles, numbers and awarding bodies that it's becoming more and more difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I'll raise a toast to the 'smart' ECS/JIB card!

Reply to Fake JIB Cards and City & Guilds Qualifications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock