Discuss Fans and wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Why do fan and speed controller manufacturers use use U, Z , K or UZ sometimes the fan and contoller have different letters instead of harmonizing fan to controller, just asking never thought about it until a guy asked,
funny the things you just accept and just go by the diagram(s)
P

In single-phase induction motors, U1-U2 signifies the main winding and Z1-Z2 the auxiliary (starting or capacitor) winding. Where only three wires are brought out, e.g. for single-direction only, U is main, Z is auxiliary and UZ is the common terminal i.e. the other end of both U and Z. Similarly for reversible PSC motors with two identical windings. K terminals connect to thermal protectors, so where the cutout is in the motor main circuit instead of a control circuit, UZ might go through the cutout and become K. Controllers might have L1, L2 etc for uncontrolled and controlled line, it's up to the manufacturer whether to put the same markings on the outputs as on the motor windings and risk them not matching in some pairings of products.

I had to read that a few times with the conclusion I know sod all about motors, so I need to get a book "electric motors for dummies" if it exists
Pict

Nothing to 'em. Just a long bit of wire wrapped around a lump of iron with a spinny bit in the middle. I'm sure you know more than the expert who, when confronted with terminals A1, B1, C1, A2, B2 and C2 on the motor and exactly the same six terminals on the starter, decided he knew a better way to connect them together and produced a lot of smoke.

As it happens I have motor woes today but of a different kind. My Y-YY and Z-ZZ are AOK but my A-AA is not happy.

Nothing to 'em. Just a long bit of wire wrapped around a lump of iron with a spinny bit in the middle. I'm sure you know more than the expert who, when confronted with terminals A1, B1, C1, A2, B2 and C2 on the motor and exactly the same six terminals on the starter, decided he knew a better way to connect them together and produced a lot of smoke.

As it happens I have motor woes today but of a different kind. My Y-YY and Z-ZZ are AOK but my A-AA is not happy.
When I was doing fridge work many years ago most little multi fit motors go acw and van stock was 7,10,25, 34 watt on an odd occasion you would get a CW as OEM which blew air the wrong way if you fitted one of the ACW , so either bend the blades which was ever so last resort or back to HRP and hope the could help which was never, till and old hand behind me in the queue asked if I had a 7mm socket yes I said, ok said the old owl follow me he then showed me how to make it go in reverse by turning the stator, felt a right numpty cos as you say if you think about it you probably knew the solution

Reply to Fans and wires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock