Discuss Farm Job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Stumbled across this last week. :eek:

Farmer want the lights changing in his milking parlour for a dairy inspection.
Fabric / rubber insulation on the lighting circuit, insulation and is down to 0.95M. Protected by a rewirable fuse. Installed in pipe with no cpc. All the outbuildings are TT.

My question is do the regs now stipulate that you must run a cpc to each point. or can you rely on the conduit??? (subject to test)

I ran in a 6mm CPC (all i had in the van) to each light from the MET to be on the safe side (zs 35.9 ohms)

I will recommend a PIR and note on the invoice areas of concern

The farmer informs me he is giving up his dairy herd at the end of the year, so he is unlikley to to spend much money.

mmmmmmmmmm

Rgds

G

Attachments

• IMG_0739.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 173
Not certain about this but i think that steel conduit is not recommended for dairy because of corrosion and that they prefer plastic. To my mind the steel is a lot stronger and makes more sense but that 's what i remember.

edit : just had a quick look and yes there are restrictions on conduit use - must be class 2 for internal use and class 4 for external, unfortunately doesn't explain it further just refers you to BS-EN 61386-21.

On reflection stainless steel conduit rings some sort of bell as well in my head, but i believe that costs a fortune!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

Forgot to add initially I did a high current ZS test and the conduit was arcing like mad due to corrosion
at the joints, hence why I added the 6mm's (i know its big but its all i had in the van and clearly asthetics are not the no 1 priority) :eek:

Got to be 50 years old

G

Reckon that if he doesn't get that sorted he could be losing his herd sooner than he intended - what a shocker of an installation:eek:

Too right also look closley at the second pic. There are fuses in the neutrals in addition to the lives. (hence six fuses three circuits)

G

now that is out of the history books - i reckon you could be right with your 50 year estimate!
You probs know already but 705.513.2 also says that all equipment in agricultural premises needs to be at least IP44 rated.

Seeing those photo's takes me back.:)

I did a lot of agricultural work as an apprentice and everywhere we went was the same as those pictures.

If it's a dairy then SWA or PVC conduit is the way to go.

Went back today, the farmer has 5 other barns in a simular condition all to be rewired and sorted

May need a hand sorting this lot....;)

Found out it was the first milking parlour in the village 1947....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks all for input

G

The wiring on Noah's ark is probably in better condition than that contraption.

hi

any thing that is accessible by livestock needs be double insulated, so galv conduit isnt recomended unles ur running pvc/pvc in it. we normally use pvc conduit or swa. weve just finished a large milking parlour 5 weeks work for 2... nice job!

regards
gary

The wiring on Noah's ark is probably in better condition than that contraption.

Possible proof

The installation is definitly older than the cows.
2 of them later occupied said ark
So my maths make it older than that ark
So its resonable to assume Noah got his wiring done first

hi

any thing that is accessible by livestock needs be double insulated, so galv conduit isnt recomended unles ur running pvc/pvc in it. we normally use pvc conduit or swa. weve just finished a large milking parlour 5 weeks work for 2... nice job!

regards
gary

didn't see that in special locations 705 - i would be interested to know if it is in there or another part of the BRB . The only thing against conduit that i could find was its corrosion resistance.

didn't see that in special locations 705 - i would be interested to know if it is in there or another part of the brb . The only thing against conduit that i could find was its corrosion resistance.

appologies pushrod.... I couldnt see anything in the brb either,i was tought that any thing accessible by livestock had to be double insulated...... Never looked it up though.

Regards
gary

appologies pushrod.... I couldnt see anything in the brb either,i was tought that any thing accessible by livestock had to be double insulated...... Never looked it up though.

Regards
gary

No probs, just relieved that i'm not looking at the pages and missing the obvious - i've done that enough times :)

The NDFAS have their own regulations for electrical installations in farm dairies......cant seem to find it online at the mo though.

They only apply though if the farm in question is a member.

I'll see if I can dig out my copy and scan it in.

Hi Lenny , I know it is a bit of a old thread but was bored and i have been doing the back catalogue as it were !
I see you mention about the NDFAS , I have never heard of this before and was wondering what it stands for ?
Thanks in advance , Dave

Reply to Farm Job in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net