Discuss Fault (DIY wired house) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

p11jor

Went to house to day to look at putting a new board in.....

Quick look about noticed that every socket was run from a jb screwed to the skirting board then run up to patress's in capping with a couple of grey 2.5 t&e clips......defo a DIY job in here.

Looked and there was a 17th board in place asked my question why he wants a new one.....he said because a breaker dosnt work. I tried it and it takes out both sides of the Rcds.......took the lid off explored the rats nest and the nuetral is in the correct bar....In the breaker causing the fault is a 6mm cable, this must feed everything in the kitchen as the whole kitchen is now dead with this breaker not being able to operate...lights & appliances, it is a extension the kitchen so my initial though was the 6mm to a submain but there is nothing in site....i have arranged to call in to fault find tomorrow afternoon, anyone had this before? Or could suggest a fault I should be looking for? My plan was to megger the 6mm to see if any low meg and just work from there.

Cheers

It could be anything really, is it possible for you to remove all the socket fronts and switches etc then you can test cable by cable. It's going to be time consuming but there's probably not much else you can do

Nice one fellas! Our diyer man rekond it was a power fault (whatever one of them is) I suspect myself there is probley a spare taken from the kitchen to living room which is on our other side of the rcd.....noticed also the lighting was in singles so the borrowed nuetral could well be from this......

Oh of course, a power fault. Fancy you not knowing what one of them is.
Don't you just hate it when some knacker buggers up a job then tells you how to fix it

I know yer!!....he was going in about fixing the boiler in there aswell.....god help the new tenants!! Ile post the photos of these sockets!!!! Better take me power fault tester with me tommorow !

If both rcds are opening you have either a cross connected circuit bridging both rcd sides, or a neutral on the wrong bar

By the sound of this job probably both

Good luck

Agree^^^

Borrowed Live (or borrowed neutral as it is commonly known) but in fact the live supply from one circuit is borrowed over to another this usually happens in lighting circuits

It's a sham of a job, I think that will be the 1st thing I do is put this 6mm onto the other side of the rcd & nuetral bar. Then suggest I carry out a full conditional report

Cheers fellas

Sounds to me, like yet another example of how DIY'ers are keeping Jobbing electricians in work!! lol!!! Still want to Ban the sale of electrical goods to Joe Public?? lol!!

Good to see some one is trying to keep sparks in work good luck hope you sort it out why do people mess with things they dont understand.

Cheers guys sorted this "power fault" ...... He had come of the immersion to the ring which diffrent side of rcd , when I asked him why he had done this he explained "that he needed too because of the KWs the immersion was drawing he wanted to safely back it up with "extra power" from the ring. I could t contain my laughter!!

Fault (DIY wired house) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Fault (DIY wired house) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock