Discuss fault finding techniques ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all I've got a college assessment coming up about fault finding just wondering if any of you use certain techniques when fault finding ? Is there certain things you do first ? Obviously these are all pre determined faults which can be switched in and out please any suggestions will be appreciated

spend the first ten minutes or so looking for the bleeding obvious. e.g. pictures recently hung above sockets.

I did this a few months ago, and I agree, they are all basic standard easy-to-find faults. Don't start thinking its transient third-harmonic voltage spikes or a failing neutral at the substation but only in dry weather, it will nothing as complicated as that. Only one that caught me out was the motor one, but you may not get that one. :)

I remember when i was doing fault finding in the booths at college....the teacher always used to drop the electrical equivalent of sexual innuendos regarding the fault you should be looking for. They help you out massivley, whether that's right or wrong im not to judge, but they want you passed and off the books. Stay calm and you'll be sorted.

Become like a Doctor
Listen to the patient and his description of his symptoms, ask questions of him to get the full picture
Thats always best done before getting your stethoscope out

A good trick I use which some may disagree with is, if I find a high resistance on a ring a get the trusty analogue tester out the van clip it only the high resistant legs and tap the sockets while my mate watches the tester, when the needle goes crazy you've found the poor connections, works every time and a dam site quicker than removing every socket. Probably not the best technique to use on your exams but a practical one for site use.

College fault finding assessments are a piece of p*ss just do what you've been taught.
Most important thing though....always test the tester first

Hello all I've got a college assessment coming up about fault finding just wondering if any of you use certain techniques when fault finding ? Is there certain things you do first ? Obviously these are all pre determined faults which can be switched in and out please any suggestions will be appreciated

Half Split Method to find faults, that goes for anything Electrical or Electronic in College.....check one half then the other, then split the side with the fault into two and check either side of that etc....

Reply to fault finding techniques ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net