Discuss Fault has stumped me!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Surely when testing for borrowed neutrals you don't test between neutrals? Surely the live of one circuit against neutrals of all other circuits, neutral to neutral shows only interconnection between neutrals

Testing between neutrals would work so long as everything is on as there would be a connection through the faulty load and one of the OK loads to give the reading, but from line to another neutral would only be testing through the faulty load so gives a chance for diagnosis.
However if the load is electronic and near infinite resistance it may not show up.

This is my thought:
Shared Neutral Test.jpg
be interested in feedback.

Testing between neutrals would work so long as everything is on as there would be a connection through the faulty load and one of the OK loads to give the reading, but from line to another neutral would only be testing through the faulty load so gives a chance for diagnosis.
However if the load is electronic and near infinite resistance it may not show up.

This is my thought:
View attachment 23537
be interested in feedback.

That makes perfect sense to me and the drawing makes it even easier to understand. Thanks mate

I would try and trace with earth leakage clamp meter with an MCB in for now, and trace it through with just that 1 circuit live then liven up other circuits and see what happens with the readings , you could try with lamps in first and all switches off , then try with switches on one at a time , trace it that way ,

Originally Posted by londonlec
Does the circuit definitely need an RCBO...
Why have you asked this?

Because he wants to know if the circuit needs an Rcbo sorry dillb, couldn't resist
icon10.png

Why wouldn't they?

They have a duty of care to ensure everything is safe, if it's tripping find fault repair then all is good.

Had this yesterday, RCBO keeps tripping narrowed it down to faulty light, removed fitting all ok now. RCBO still on circuit and not tripping anymore.

rcbo

Try swapping rcbo with a known good one from another circuit. I had a similar problem some time ago spent ages doing all checks and tests turned out to be duff rcbo very annoying had to go home and kick the dog!

Re: rcbo

Try swapping rcbo with a known good one from another circuit. I had a similar problem some time ago spent ages doing all checks and tests turned out to be duff rcbo very annoying had to go home and kick the dog!

No need to swap if it was ramped.

Boydy

Riiiiight. So I have made a bit of an error. When doing IR test I disconnected cpc neutral and live and did it that way. The cpc wasnt going anywhere, the lights bprrowed the cpc from various local points. Not awful but very rough I know! I had a fun day disconnecting sets of lights bit by bit. Turns out they are pretty much all letting in water. Going back to change 10 lights tomorrow and Monday. Eurgh...

Cant believe i made that IR cock up. I must admit, i have a love hate relationship with IR tests. So many variables to give you low results and the wiring is slapdash in this place to say the least with so many variables I'm not sure where to start!!

You're right there. I did learn that somewhere. But it'd been a long day and I wasnt with it.

Now this is odd: All the lights are on when PIR is overrided. When i switch a particular submain (on its own rcbo) one light goes out. Now this HAS to be borrowed neutral surely because switched live is fed from one contactor?! Or perhaps switched live and neutral from different circuit is feb from contactor? I'm a bit baffled. Lights are on mcb til i sort probs out. But rcbo feeding submain does NOT trip which is why borrowed neutral looks v unlikely. Someone help me i feel like i'm losing the plot, not slept much since son was born, i swear having young kids turns your grey matter into cauliflower....

Reply to Fault has stumped me!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net