• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fault on lighting cct prevents taking Zs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Taking a Zs from a light switch and am reading 160 volts between L & E.
What would you code this. I think it could be a neutral fault but I don't have the time available to investigate. The location is a hotel room.

The OP should be aware of this if carrying out an EICR.

You will have to have a bit of patience with me as up to a year ago the only experience I had of a ring circuit was at 11000v,the last phase rotation test was on a 11000v , 7.4 MW ,slip ring motor and my last-phasing out was paralleling two 5MVA 1100/550V Dyn 11 transformers. The signing off package ran to volumes.

Having said all that I am also autherized to switch 33000V systems.

The OP was aware

You will have to have a bit of patience with me as up to a year ago the only experience I had of a ring circuit was at 11000v,the last phase rotation test was on a 11000v , 7.4 MW ,slip ring motor and my last-phasing out was paralleling two 5MVA 1100/550V Dyn 11 transformers. The signing off package ran to volumes.

The OP was aware
Don’t you go round wiring up 11kV rings anywhere near me not something I want to come across on a domestic/commercial EICR :p most of the time someone on here will assume the worst we are all guilty of it with the limited info most OPs give and the amount of chancers we get on here doing their own work and nuggets that don’t know their earth from their a**e :eek:

Edit: I’ve never heard that saying before so I’m copyrighting it and making it a trademark don’t steal it ;)

Other test results?

R1+R2?

IR testing?

And out of curiosity why Zs from a switch position and not furthest point of the circuit?

The OP was aware

That's lovely, but as far as I know completly irrelevant to your original question and any testing carried out to bs7671.
This suggests you have less than a years experience of working on installations at lv and to bs7671, so approximately the same experience as a first/second year apprentice.

Hi All

Taking a Zs from a light switch and am reading 160 volts between L & E.
What would you code this. I think it could be a neutral fault but I don't have the time available to investigate. The location is a hotel room.

Not being funny, but you tested L - E, got 160v, and you think it could be a neutral fault??? How?? You were not testing for a PD across L&N? Unless of course, a PEN conductor was down, but then I would hope you would have noticed other interesting things too lol. Obvs, that last bit was a joke!

As Murdoch has already suggested, you clearly have a floating cpc/earth.

That's lovely, but as far as I know completly irrelevant to your original question and any testing carried out to bs7671.
This suggests you have less than a years experience of working on installations at lv and to bs7671, so approximately the same experience as a first/second year apprentice.
You obviously don't get the joke, lighten up a bit

You obviously don't get the joke, lighten up a bit

Do enlighten us, what is the joke?
You are carrying out an eicr, what is the joke?
Electrical safety at any voltage is far from a joke, if you have a clue you will realise electricity can, and will, kill without any regard for your opinion of whether it is funny or not.

Personally I don't care, but I'm lead to believe that the death of humans is unacceptable?

However I am curious as to how a liver and bacon casserole would taste with hunan liver? I've made it with all of the commonly available livers but humans are somewhat harder to come by for some reason? Perhaps once a few people have died from your approach to electrical safety you could cut out their livers and send them to me, I'll be happy to invite you to dinner to try this particular delicacy.

Reply to Fault on lighting cct prevents taking Zs in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back