Discuss Fault on ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nope!...the ring is already under load with dishwasher/tumble dryer etc.... but as soon as you add the washing machine...pop!... but the machine works fine went plugged in to another part of the ring.

As mentioned you will just have to go back and test from scrach as its just a guessing game at the moment.

The board is less than a year old (fitted by another contractor)... don't think its an overload issue as its all currently running... and why its tripping line/earth at the spur is anyones guess!... just to add, replaced spur also...so its not that.

Had the work been tested on completion or is it still "on going" and been energised without doing so?

Have you stripped out the connections and re-terminated yourself?

I understand the issue about collecting your test gear but I personally would have refused to visit without it because now it just gives the impression you don't know what you are doing.

Good Luck, please post back to let us know what the fault was :thumbsup

I spoke to the other sparks who done the work on the ring main, and he assures me he tested it fully on completion of that circuit (I've known him for 30 years so I trust what he says) so I cn only assume it has had damage inflicted on it during the on going works.. watch this space, I don't like to be beaten!

Dont understand how voltage testing L-E can take out an MCB....but that aside it sounds like the spur cable has been drilled dead centre,breaking the earth and damaging the L and N cores,when a load is on the cable it then surges L-N and trips the breaker.....As it's not tripping the RCD we must assume the earth is broken.

I would do a insulation resistance test on the leg it sounds like there is a screw or something in the cable. Insulation test or just change the cable to that socket

I would do a insulation resistance test on the leg it sounds like there is a screw or something in the cable. Insulation test or just change the cable to that socket

I've taken the leg to the socket completely out of the equation, the L-E fault occurs when I test across these at the spur.... I don't think this can be answered until I strip it down on monday. i'll keep you posted.

Just quick question does sound like over load surely a short circuit would open breaker straight away !!! also you say you put washing machine into a nother socket and it works fine but what have you taken out to replace with washing machine is there one less appliance not running !! .also could be tripping as more amps required as water heats up in washing machinen if it has cold feed only

Last edited:
Had a similar call, washing machine on a spur. No obvious reason for the tripping (mcb), all tested okay, also it worked no probs on any other socket on ring. Changed the socket for a new one. Problem solved!

Reply to Fault on ring main in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock