Discuss Fault on socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Besides, a single double socket has the potential to draw 26amps,

I don't think that's right. r1,rn,r2 at the CU would only tell the ring is continuous, but it wouldn't tell you if someone had spurred off it. The R1+R2 at the CU, I'm less sure about, but I still don't think it will tell you someone has spurred off the ring. But this is besides the point: is a socket circuit protected by a 20amp safer that a 32amp?
ring testing at each socket? now that I did not know.
Not surprised at all

OP's kept you all amused this afternoon. I think you've all been had.

You could direct your enthusiasm and waste your time with the guy wanting to power up his mancave. :D
Not as entertaining as this thread, I still reckon he is a wind up merchant, no one is this dopey.

You say you have continuity beteeen E-N, that may not trip if the current still finds a return path on the neutral which wouldn’t trip the RCD

Why do you assume that? Testing the circuit correctly will verify wether it’s good for continued use, not guess work on your part.
Electricians don't guess only plumbers

So if you do a RFC and the readings are acceptable, do you assume the ring is not broken and that someone hasn't spurred off the ring?
I do know what ring final circuit is, I just haven't heard it referred to as RFC.

I didn't know that ring mains weren't used anymore, although I independently stopped using rings ages ago. Whenever, I encounter an old ring, I assume it is broken and downgrade to 20amp.
Wouldn't Ring Final Circuit, given you an itsy bitsy teeny weeny clue as to what RFC meant?

Gareth,
What was your ring continuity readings? What were your L-E & N-E insulation resistance test results you have given no indication that any proper fault finding has been carried out all you say is that the earth is continuous? And I still don't understand why you would go into a clients house and just change the protective device to 20A for an RFC just because it COULD have a spur off a spur or not have continuity without any testing'well that's the impression you have given me. Be upfront and give us some facts and you may get some very good advice from members drawing on their own past experiences. From what you have told us so far it may be a cable that has been drilled screwed.

Sooooo, based on the op’s original post and subsequent assumptions and answers a ring final circuit is BROKEN because it has a spur or spurs on it and yet he doesn’t test at every socket to confirm any spurs etc.....

Reply to Fault on socket circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock