Discuss Fault on socket circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sooooo, based on the op’s original post and subsequent assumptions and answers a ring final circuit is BROKEN because it has a spur or spurs on it and yet he doesn’t test at every socket to confirm any spurs etc.....
No proper facts or test readings other than things being unplugged. I am sure that members would be more than willing to give possible causes if the OP has drawn a blank but basic testing needs to be carried out first.

Sooooo, based on the op’s original post and subsequent assumptions and answers a ring final circuit is BROKEN because it has a spur or spurs on it and yet he doesn’t test at every socket to confirm any spurs etc.....
That's about it Fitzy

How many circuits are controlled by that RCD. If it trips randomly it could be that the total leakage to earth is more than 30mA, that would explain why it trips when plugging into different sockets etc.
I had exactly the same happening on a few occasions in domestic installations.

If the ring is broken then the chances are at least one of the live wires has come out of its terminal and is loose behind an accessory; every time this touches against anything which is earthed (including a metal backbox) the rcd will trip.
Changing the protective device won't stop this.

... Or have I missed an 'inside joke'?

I brought this up last week about idiotic random pics that keep being put up, tedious, irritating and boring.
I feel the same way about most of Pete's posts - I don't need a dedicated post to tell me he agrees with someone when there's a special button for precisely that purpose, or that he has "nil experience" in the matter in hand but going to have a guess anyway.
Do your worst, I've got a galvanised bin lid.
You got any of that popcorn left Strima?

I feel the same way about most of Pete's posts - I don't need a dedicated post to tell me he agrees with someone when there's a special button for precisely that purpose, or that he has "nil experience" in the matter in hand but going to have a guess anyway.
Do your worst, I've got a galvanised bin lid.
You got any of that popcorn left Strima?

Cuki8ysWEAICFiy.jpg

Reply to Fault on socket circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net