Discuss Fault on socket circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We did bring you to task about this last week @elsparko and you said you'd stop.
Its like the alter ego that we all want to put in a box and bury in the garden!
We know where you live (we actually don't but just wanted to sound menacing!)

I like some off-topic stuff, including cartoons...but maybe the "Off Topic" thread is a better venue for them?

On a different theme, man said today, as I asked him some questions about rewiring this building...
RFC or radial?
Go with RFC
OK, cooker circuit? separate circuit?
Yes, every day.
Fair enough...
I'm thinking 10mm, but with diversity could be 6mm, however, cost isn't an issue so I'll go with the 10mm.
What's diversity?
2.5.mm rfc x 3 for sockets?
Yeah, whatever...
Clipped direct? We are plasterboarding 12mm but there will be 300mm insulation, so keep it clipped direct to joists?
Oh, it won't matter, we're throwing in a load of rcbos so they'll take care of any problems, just carry on.
1mm or 1.5mm for lighting?
Oh, whatever you've got handy will be fine!
Now, you all know I am not an electrician, but I am happy to lay in the cables and sockets and light fittings etc.
however, and I may have this totally wrong, but wouldn't you calculate the cabling and loads, then specify the protective devices, rather than think "Hmm...RCBOs? They'll cover everything!"
OK, they have to be sized accordingly, but I kinda thought the circuit design was the most important element. I mean, we won't go far wrong with 2.5 for sockets and 1 for lights (they will all be LED) and 10mm for the cooker (2 ovens and 5 rings...don't know the rating yet) but it's a 10m by 10m building, single storey so no fancy stuff...
Apparently, this kind guy is going to inspect, terminate the circuits and issue certificates, so why should I worry? It's a charity, and we are very lucky to get his input. Just concerned...
probably shouldn't be...I'll lay the cables, do the sockets. let him test...
or should I be concerned?

I like some off-topic stuff, including cartoons...but maybe the "Off Topic" thread is a better venue for them?

On a different theme, man said today, as I asked him some questions about rewiring this building...
RFC or radial?
Go with RFC
OK, cooker circuit? separate circuit?
Yes, every day.
Fair enough...
I'm thinking 10mm, but with diversity could be 6mm, however, cost isn't an issue so I'll go with the 10mm.
What's diversity?
2.5.mm rfc x 3 for sockets?
Yeah, whatever...
Clipped direct? We are plasterboarding 12mm but there will be 300mm insulation, so keep it clipped direct to joists?
Oh, it won't matter, we're throwing in a load of rcbos so they'll take care of any problems, just carry on.
1mm or 1.5mm for lighting?
Oh, whatever you've got handy will be fine!
Now, you all know I am not an electrician, but I am happy to lay in the cables and sockets and light fittings etc.
however, and I may have this totally wrong, but wouldn't you calculate the cabling and loads, then specify the protective devices, rather than think "Hmm...RCBOs? They'll cover everything!"
OK, they have to be sized accordingly, but I kinda thought the circuit design was the most important element. I mean, we won't go far wrong with 2.5 for sockets and 1 for lights (they will all be LED) and 10mm for the cooker (2 ovens and 5 rings...don't know the rating yet) but it's a 10m by 10m building, single storey so no fancy stuff...
Apparently, this kind guy is going to inspect, terminate the circuits and issue certificates, so why should I worry? It's a charity, and we are very lucky to get his input. Just concerned...
probably shouldn't be...I'll lay the cables, do the sockets. let him test...
or should I be concerned?
most domestic circuits can be guessed at regarding cable size etc, unless youve got some fancy appliances/heating system its fairly straight forward, the lights are either going to be 1 or 1.5mm, sockets 2.5 for RFC, probably get away with 6mm for hob/oven depending on loads/distance from board, id definitely be doing calculations on the hob/oven supply but 10mm will probably cover it

nothing stopping you from running your numbers through one of the online calculators to see if it draws up anything though

I guess that's the best idea elsparko...
TBH, it's not a huge building, 2.5 for sockets, 1 for lighting (or 1.5 if anyone donates it!) and just go with 10 for the cooker...don't sweat the small stuff, eh?
Oh there's a welder going in a corner of one workshop...nothing fancy,maybe 32A at board?
Just finished the water supply today, and it's looking ok, though I say it myself! Simple cold feed throughout, with a couple of POU heaters for the kitchen and workshops. No ceilings in, so it's all good for wiring too!

Reply to Fault on socket circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net