Discuss Fault or faulty testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lambretta phil

R c d tripping in main c/ unit in house think intermittent fault on cable to garage.disconected at both ends my steinel testers show fault between all conductors.my mates fluke and insulation testers show clear ,i test with mine again and fault . So when I go to get new cable I buy new fluke testers and with these ,yes you guessed it I get a fault. What am I missing.

Welcome to the forum Phil. Do they still make Lambrettas?

Can you tell me more info about the 'Steinel tester' you were using to start with, maybe a web link if you can. Also exactly what test were you doing and what readings you got with both the steinel tester and the Fluke.

Don't shout at me too much, but are you holding the probes on the cable with your thumbs? Some poor / cheap testers read through the moisture on your hands and through you!

Thanks marvo no don't make lambretta s any more but you can still see lots like mine broke down the side of the road.just basic steinel not digital tester.for continuity and voltage .mates fluke same but digital .then mates insulation res test with his proper tester =inf

Maybe your Steinal thingy and your digital tester were picking up some kind of induced or coupled voltage from another circuit in close proximity. If your mates insulation tester showed no fault and it was definately working then I'd take that result over the Steinal gizmo any day.

What was the original problem exactly. How frequently was the RCD tripping and was it only in wet weather for example. Do you have an earth leakage clamp meter in you tool kit?

Maybe your Steinal thingy and your digital tester were picking up some kind of induced or coupled voltage from another circuit in close proximity. If your mates insulation tester showed no fault and it was definately working then I'd take that result over the Steinal gizmo any day.

What was the original problem exactly. How frequently was the RCD tripping and was it only in wet weather for example. Do you have an earth leakage clamp meter in you tool kit?
steinel is just an AVI marvo...like this:

71zsb9-KPaL.jpg

fyyfg.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hi glenspark what's Sils
scooters India LTD

- - - Updated - - -

indian Lammy....

Thanks Glenn, we're not big on those types of tester (or Indian Lambrettas for that matter) where I am. :)

If the SWA was a problem you'd almost certainly see a low insulation reading with a mega tester if you disconnected the armour at both ends and tested between the internal wires and the armour and between a known earth and the armour. This would indicate if the cable sheath had been damaged along the run somewhere. Replacing it without conclusive test results is a bit hit and miss.

The RCD is seeing the cumulative leakage of all the circuits it's supplying so an earth leakage clamp meter around the L+N of each circuit whilst they're live would be the best way of finding the leakage problem(s).

Reply to Fault or faulty testers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net