Discuss Faults central at present ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Been out on a handful of callouts last few days and had some beauties, such as a socket spurred for t.v. and associated sky box, dvd player etc.. spurred from another in a unit which had stopped working and showed up as no neutral ! this was apparently working last week and just stopped working. Took face off socket in cupboard and found all wired from somewhere under floorboards and from 30A 3036 at old board for 1st floor sockets, thing is the cable coming down in wall to the inside the unit socket and spurred to t.v. one is all wired in 1mm twin and earth ! no grommets in metal box etc.. and no N continuity from socket one to board either L & CPC are fine but albeit undersized cable. Left disconnected as need to arrange going back as client wants to check finances first. Also various 3036 shells with 6-7 strands of 5A wire in them to use as a 30A fuse ! I pointed out the fact that the 5A blades / prongs were far smaller area of metal than the 30A ones too ! and also had 5A ones with 15A and 30A fuse wire in them too ! what are people up to ?? Of course it was Mr. Nobody that did it. Also had old black rubber twin and earth which I'm trying to place an age onto and if it's VIR ?? It has something printed on sheath like Henley wiring systems London or similar and inner cores red but dusty looking red and is crumbling like broken biscuits ! so think it could be very old and oils in insulation migrated out or something ?

Trying to work out if worth doing a few tests next visit on I.R. etc.. r1, rn, r2 etc.. and see what's been poked, old and best to replace and or safe enough. Any thoughts, EICR maybe advisable ?
Cheers.

I'm kind of hoping that isn't the case due to costs for her but it is very old looking, newest cables are white twin but very yellowed and seem stiff and possibly brittle. Be very difficult to rewire with people living in the house, always a nightmare that. Got one I'm doing at present where can't get in lounge diner to complete new rfc as the rooms are to ceiling with boxes and timber plus a piano etc.. all blocked up trying to pick through wiring all new room to room while moving bags of plaster and buckets etc.. !

The “black twin and earth” you mentioned is called Tough Rubber Sheath (TRS) and will be 50+ years old.....long overdue a Rewire, especially if it’s crumbling!

I knew there was a reason why I don't do lived in rewires.
Ahh this is the 3rd one in months and it's a pig and the guy does I.T. for work so is running cat 6 all over using 40mm white plastic pipe clips along joists and I've told him 4 times don't run it alongside my mains but he doesn't want to move them ! haha the data is run in like terribly, I offered to make off his rack and patch shelf properly for him ha ha.

I did a rewire where the house was lived in recently , I had been crawling about in the loft for a couple of days before one of the bums that hung about in the house all day smoking ganghi mentioned that a python they kept had been missing over a week . It turned up eventually in next doors toilet .

I did a rewire where the house was lived in recently , I had been crawling about in the loft for a couple of days before one of the bums that hung about in the house all day smoking ganghi mentioned that a python they kept had been missing over a week . It turned up eventually in next doors toilet .
Madness bloody space cadets, could've killed the fools

call-out yesterday. UFH. installed about 5 years ago. 2 mats, total 3.3kW. spurred off socket to FCU which was installed in/out wrong way round so neon permanent on. bare conductors wrapped in tape. from FCU to stat in 0.75 flex. stat replaced 3 weeks ago was too big to fit the half of dual back box so side of back box hammered out of the way leaving a big hole in the plasterboard. called out to smoking stat. terminals and 0.75 flex a charred mess.

call-out yesterday. UFH. installed about 5 years ago. 2 mats, total 3.3kW. spurred off socket to FCU which was installed in/out wrong way round so neon permanent on. bare conductors wrapped in tape. from FCU to stat in 0.75 flex. stat replaced 3 weeks ago was too big to fit the half of dual back box so side of back box hammered out of the way leaving a big hole in the plasterboard. called out to smoking stat. terminals and 0.75 flex a charred mess.
That's horrendous Tel, so the cowboys are out and about everywhere ! Just had a back box like that, top had been cut away to get 2 gang dimmer to fit. Top just chopped and bent off, clowns.

when i go back to sort the back box/es i'll take a photo. there's no way the stat. will fit on half a dual box ( the one that's for 2 singles ), so it's going to be dug out and 2 single boxes with enough clearance for the stat.

Reply to Faults central at present ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net