Discuss Faulty Oil Burner Controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 105018

Chaps and Ladies. New to this forum but thought I’d pass on some info having used the forum myself in the past as a lurker.

Been to a job today, not a job really but a mate. Oil boiler not firing. No lockout or anything.

Bit of background I changed the solenoid coil and control box back in Jan for a different fault

Anyway did the usual fault finding. Determined it was the control box (only 9 months old) swapped it out and worked like a charm. I was cross cos this was a newish box so got the box home and stripped it. Found the negative connector for the bi metallic strip coil had come unsoldered from its terminal.

Anyone else seen similar. Box is a Honeywell TF832.3 (otherwise known as a Satronic TF823.3)

It took me a while to consider the box was faulty. I used the “that is new so can’t be at fault” logic. All tests pointed to it.

Just a word in your ear really to give you folks a heads up that these boxes don’t seem the most reliable

Thanks

Also to cut a long story short they’re almost nigh on impossible to test as the terminals are in accessible when it’s plugged in. Honeywell make a test box but they retail at about £300. I’m a control guy so as a project I figured I may knock together a break out box/test box. That said I don’t deal with them all too often.

Haha. That was a bit of a joke too. Yes it’s under warranty but to honour it the large retailer of plumbing and heating parts who will remain nameless stated that they’d have to send the item back to honeywell for investigation before a warranty claim could be made. It could take up to 6 weeks they said. My mates missus was having none of that. She’s already had two days of cold showers on the back of it and for £30 she didn’t really give a s**t. I could send it back and recoup the outlay but my mate was happy to pay and frankly I’ve got enough problems with people not paying etc (usual stuff) to warrant spending my time chasing it up.

Yeah, fair play. I'm not sure how retailers or even wholesalers get away with imposing unreasonable conditions on their warranty claims. Isn't there some kinda ombudsman or oversight body in the UK that you can complain to?

Not sure mate but I had a bit of a set to with a legal beagle on a different forum about something similar. I’ve just installed a system about 200miles away that for all intents and puposes is a pumping system. I asked the question that if the pump were to fail under warranty if obviously have to replace it as I am prime contractor. I’d then claim a new pump under warranty. But I asked who would cover the labour for actually replacing it. My view is that it should be the pump manufacturer for not making something reliable but seemingly it’s my problems. Yet another job I’ve under priced!!

That's pretty standard where I am, if there's a warranty claim I'd get the pump or whatever item replaced by the wholesaler or agent and I'd have to cover the labour out of the mark-up I charged on the item originally.

That said, on most items like pumps, compressors etc we get 50% discount from our supplier (or more in some cases) so if we charge the customer the 'list price', which is what they'd get quoted if the phoned the supplier direct, we're well covered for an occasional failure.

I should point out I'm not in the UK so things might be a bit different for you.

Used to work in a ham and gammon factory.
Had two gas fired ovens used for roasting hams.
Had 4 controllers, two in the ovens and two in the workshop drying out ready for when they next sprayed the ovens with the jet guns.

We had a Laboratory to test the meat and also tested produce from other local manufacturers.
Cumberland sausages from Essex with a tiny pinch taken out of them for testing.

Haha. That was a bit of a joke too. Yes it’s under warranty but to honour it the large retailer of plumbing and heating parts who will remain nameless stated that they’d have to send the item back to honeywell for investigation before a warranty claim could be made. It could take up to 6 weeks they said. My mates missus was having none of that. She’s already had two days of cold showers on the back of it and for £30 she didn’t really give a s**t. I could send it back and recoup the outlay but my mate was happy to pay and frankly I’ve got enough problems with people not paying etc (usual stuff) to warrant spending my time chasing it up.
Sorry it's quite an old post but I'm having issues with a new control box on a spare oil burner I have. Luckily I have a working burner so we won't be cold..... This is an experimental burner I've built up..... I have ordered a new different numbered box Satronic which does the same job as the 830-3. I will not send the box which has too low a voltage coming out of terminal 5 to the shut off solenoid valve`till I've tried the new one in the same base. They might say it does not have a fault but I'mm confident it does..... I believe my fluke meter. I don't have many faulty new boxes but one never knows?

I do not send PCB s back either until I've sent for a renovated one from International Boiler Spares -Tyne & Wear. If you send a PCB back they can say it does not have a fault......... The company I mentioned =£50 for a Boiler PCB with a years guarantee.... I fitted a new Honeywell PCB that was in a box that cast over £200. The boiler worked until I rang Carol---- she was still in bed & said the xxxxx boiler's stopped again....xxxxxxxx I said...... I'll get xxxx to send it back & buy a renovated one from I B Spares Northumberland...... That PCB got here next day and is still working now 2 years and a month later..... I would never buy a new one again.... That company are well worth knowing...... I've never ask them to test or if they look at control boxes.
Wollesley (plumb centers) used to plug control boxes in & confirm there and then if the box was OK or not. I have on many occasion put wires from terminals out of the box thro the hole in the bottom of the base plate & put my meter on them to see what's happening. This of course by passes the lead to the solenoid which in this case will not open..... I can see this because I've got a pressure gauge on the pump. The nuisance is it worked once then no more. I will resolve the problem one way or another but sometimes even new boxes don't work!

Thank you for the 'heads up' That controller is used in my brother-in-law's waste oil burner but not had a problem with it yet. The oil reservoir temperature stat did fail on causing the reservoir to overheat - was surprised there is no safety cutout - there is now.

Reply to Faulty Oil Burner Controller in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock