Discuss Faulty wiring on Bathroom Extractor ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JimSReynolds

Hi all

I am replacing the bathroom extractor fan. It had been replaced within the last couple of years but died a couple of weeks back, tripping the switch for the circuit. When the switch was reset the fan was dead.

I bought a replacement fan (OK for zone 1) and isolated the circuit today to remove the old one. After removing the old, I realised that I was not certain which of the three wires was which. I isolated the fan and did some tests with my meter with the power back on and the bathroom lightswitch on and off. Now I am seriously confused.

The wiring colours are Blue, Red and Yellow. The truth table looks like this.

With the lightswitch on
B --> R = 240V
B --> Y = 240V
R --> Y = 0V

So I figure that Blue is earth with the other two wires as circuit and switch live.

However ...

With the lightswitch off

B --> R = 240V
B --> Y = 0V
R --> Y = 170 - 190V floating around.

This makes no sense to me at all. Am I just undereducated here or does this suggest some kind of fault?

The light switch, bulb and fan are all isolated by a switch on the wall above the bathroom door. With that switch turned off, there are no voltages present on any combination of wires. I am thinking the light switch is probably the next point of test. Sound about right?

Any suggestions folks?

PS (yes a qualified electrician will be brought in if things get much hairier.

blue will be neutral. red and yellow will be perm L and switched L. try them one way in the fan. it should come on with the light and then over run after the light is switched off. if it don't work, the swap red and yellow.

Jim, I think it's time for you to call an electrician now mate.

Hi all

I am replacing the bathroom extractor fan. It had been replaced within the last couple of years but died a couple of weeks back, tripping the switch for the circuit. When the switch was reset the fan was dead.

I bought a replacement fan (OK for zone 1) and isolated the circuit today to remove the old one. After removing the old, I realised that I was not certain which of the three wires was which. I isolated the fan and did some tests with my meter with the power back on and the bathroom lightswitch on and off. Now I am seriously confused.

The wiring colours are Blue, Red and Yellow. The truth table looks like this.

With the lightswitch on
B --> R = 240V
B --> Y = 240V
R --> Y = 0V

So I figure that Blue is earth with the other two wires as circuit and switch live.

However ...

With the lightswitch off

B --> R = 240V
B --> Y = 0V
R --> Y = 170 - 190V floating around.

This makes no sense to me at all. Am I just undereducated here or does this suggest some kind of fault?

The light switch, bulb and fan are all isolated by a switch on the wall above the bathroom door. With that switch turned off, there are no voltages present on any combination of wires. I am thinking the light switch is probably the next point of test. Sound about right?

Any suggestions folks?

PS (yes a qualified electrician will be brought in if things get much hairier.

Blue is not the earth, it must not be connected to the earth as this will create a potentially dangerous fault. The earth will be a bare copper conductor which needs to be sleeved with a green and yellow sleeve.

The floating voltage you have measured suggests that you are using a test meter which is not suitable for the job. You are measuring a phantom voltage caused by capacitive coupling within the cable.

Please stop placing your life and your property at risk and get the assistance of someone competant

Blue is not the earth, it must not be connected to the earth as this will create a potentially dangerous fault. The earth will be a bare copper conductor which needs to be sleeved with a green and yellow sleeve.
Apologies, bad terminology on my part. I meant neutral when I said earth. Aware of the difference.

The floating voltage you have measured suggests that you are using a test meter which is not suitable for the job. You are measuring a phantom voltage caused by capacitive coupling within the cable.
Gotcha. I was aware of capacitive coupling in the context of line level signals and noise but didn't appreciate it could result in such high voltages in the context of mains wiring. So I would need a low impedance meter to test properly then.

Appreciate the feedback.

Reply to Faulty wiring on Bathroom Extractor ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock