Discuss Federal electric rcbo! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

image.jpeg The BS4293 refers to the rcd side, the over current will be BS3871.
Take your pick.

What was your Zs reading? If it's lower than the value for type 3, then at least it's going to be under the limit for whatever type it is. Unless its type 4....0.09ish ohms

The one installed seems to be functional. I just needed the zs for my certificate. I think I need to investigate which type it is and treat it as a bs 3871 for over current . Thanks guys
What colour toggle is it, black type 4, orange type 3, green type 2 and the rarest of all, white type 1. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the max Zs as it is an rccb but you should enter the correct type on the schedule.

The original maximum Zs for a type 4, 40A Federal device are 0.48 for 0.4 sec and 1.10 for 5 sec, this is from Federal Electric data but now may be different as this is not based on 230v. Type 4 are like fuses and had two different values for 0.4 and 5 sec disconnection. Figures have never been quoted in any IEE / IET Regulations and manufacturers data should be sought as there are huge variations between each manufacturer. They cannot be compared to a Type D they are totally different.

Last edited:
Just to add if it is one of the latter types with white casings they are 60898 but can be identified in a similar way by the toggle colour. Green type B, orange type C and brown/black type D.

Most rcbos provide three functions, fault/overcurrent/rcd protection but one you have only provides overcurrent and rcd protection, hence it has no Type as such because the fault protection is provided by the rcd part of it so it is a bit of an oddity. You can only enter on the schedule BS4293 with no Type. Don't forget trip times at x1 should not exceed 200ms with 40ms for x5.

I'm impressed you have found one that trips, I've never come across one that trips, either with the test button or an RCD tester.

Reply to Federal electric rcbo! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net