Discuss Feed to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all
I work in modular buildings and we always wire our lights (In flat T&E) with the feed going to the switch. However at college they are quite adament that this is not a good way to do things, Is there anywere in the regs that says this? Or is there any reason why we shouldn't wire our lights this way?
Thanks again
Jim

no reason at all why not. if you have multiple lights on 1 switch, then it is sometimes the best way. methinks the college bods have been brought up on the 3 plate rose way, and think it's the only way.

sure half the worksheets we get are to 16th edition but moaning about the difference between phase and line,,,, funky world

Hi all
I work in modular buildings and we always wire our lights (In flat T&E) with the feed going to the switch. However at college they are quite adament that this is not a good way to do things, Is there anywere in the regs that says this? Or is there any reason why we shouldn't wire our lights this way?
Thanks again
Jim

What was your lecturers take on it did he give a reason or quote a reg

Is good for numerous spotlights, not so good if customer wants a dimmer and the back box won't allow. Pros and cons to both

Ask your lecturer the best way to wire a modern light fitting which only has 3 terminals.
Do you connect the neutral in the box behind the switch, or do you poke it up above the ceiling?

Ask your lecturer the best way to wire a modern light fitting which only has 3 terminals.
Do you connect the neutral in the box behind the switch, or do you poke it up above the ceiling?
no, you poke the permanent lives up waiting there for the next unwary spark to fish around with a metal coat hanger.

Is good for numerous spotlights, not so good if customer wants a dimmer and the back box won't allow. Pros and cons to both
why not. make a few more qiud out of the tight fisted buggers if we have to fit a deeper box.

no, you poke the permanent lives up waiting there for the next unwary spark to fish around with a metal coat hanger.
I thought the idea behind that was for the unsuspecting DIYer who thinks because the switch is off there won't be a live at the fitting so there's no need to go to the inconvenience of knocking off all the lights on that floor.

I agree with above posts, think he's just stuck in his ways. I've got a contract wiring up park homes and all the feeds go to the switch because the lights are either downlights or fancy light fittings.

Hi please can somebody help me
i got 4 lighting cables in back of the switch, on one it says bathroom switch, 2nd one it say hall switch and the other 2 hav no writing on them but 1 is live. The lights are both 1 way..it's 2 gang switch I usually do loop in at ceiling and take switch from there but I never done it this way please can u explain to me in detail
many thanks

Hi please can somebody help me
i got 4 lighting cables in back of the switch, on one it says bathroom switch, 2nd one it say hall switch and the other 2 hav no writing on them but 1 is live. The lights are both 1 way..it's 2 gang switch I usually do loop in at ceiling and take switch from there but I never done it this way please can u explain to me in detail
many thanks

I would assume that the two unmarked cables are feeds, So the 2 browns/reds need to go into the top (common) of your two switches (Bathroom and hall) and loop accross between them, to continue the feed. Then take the brown/reds from the two marked cables and put one each to the bottom (L1) of each switch. join all the blue's (neutrals) together in a connector and the same with the earths.
That would be my guess, But i'd be tempted to message one of the more experianced lads on here. or get an Electrician who does know in.

Reply to Feed to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock