Discuss Feeding a Shed Cu from the main CU in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I am putting a Small 2 way CU in a shed to feed 3 x double sockets and 2 x florescent lights. The run from the Main CU is 30m

I am wiring it in conduit and I will be using 4mm singles to supply it with a 20A Breaker at the main, is this ok?

Many Thanks

looks good to me. i assume you are taking your cpc for the shed from the MET. if using steel conduit, it should be earthed.

How/where will the plastic conduit be run?

The conduit runs around the external of the building already feeding 4 outside lights at approx 2.5m high, at the end of the run I have brought the conduit down to ground level where I will have an external Junction box, from this box I will be running SWA underground then to the CU in the shed

Last edited:
make sure the armour of the SWA is earthed at the house end.

Just had a though about this, I was planning to put a 2 way CU in the shed with an RCD but just remembered that I can't have an RCD in the shed unless the main RCD is time delayed.
Shall I split the tails and have the shed on its own supply or shall i not worry about the shed RCD and just rely on the main?

many thanks

Personally I would be splitting the tails or feeding it from your CU with a dedicated RCBO (depending on type and room within CU) , 3 dbl sockets in a shed sounds like your intending to do a bit of work in there. The regs do suggest segregation of circuits should be considered to minimise downtime and inconvenience through fault. Just imagine Mrs or Junior robbo777 are doing some work on the PC when you cut through the lawn mower cable and they loose it all because the RCD in the house trips.

As for time delaying an RCD any s/o etc it protects must still be rated at 30mA in .4s so time delay the one in the house a then circuits within the house aren't protected in a satisfactory way.

Although if you split the tails I think I'd be wanting to run swa from the split to the db in the shed. Unless you use a 63A RCCB at the split, then you could get away without SWA all the way. But if it were me and I was going to the effort of splitting I think I would want the RCD in the shed so I didn't have to wonder into the house to reset in the event that there was a fault. In which case I think I would use SWA from the split.

Having said all of that my outside socket is protected by a shared RCD in the house but then junior is only 1 and Mrs mainly uses a Laptop so I am fairly safe. As long as the TV stays on :shocked3:

Hopefully makes sense and helps a little, I'm sure some of the more time served guys on here can advise us both better :D

As for time delaying an RCD any s/o etc it protects must still be rated at 30mA in .4s so time delay the one in the house a then circuits within the house aren't protected in a satisfactory way.

Why would after splitting the mains, and installing a 100mA S type RCD to the tails to the shed, affect THE 30mA RCD's in the CU??

Why would after splitting the mains, and installing a 100mA S type RCD to the tails to the shed, affect THE 30mA RCD's in the CU??

Sorry my bad, didn't make myself clear enough, I was replying to thisparticular comment.

Just had a though about this, I was planning to put a 2 way CU in the shed with an RCD but just remembered that I can't have an RCD in the shed unless the main RCD is time delayed.

Assuming the tails were not split and the 2nd db was fed from and RCD protected CB in the house CU the house RCD couldn't be time delayed and satisfy the other circuits it protects in within the house. Is what I was trying say. Am I correct in thinking this?

You are right because as you say all other RCD circuits in the house would not meet the correct disconnection times. 0.4s with a time delay on front of it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi

This setup is in some stables, and the shed that I refer to is acutally a 20 foot lorry back and my dad has a little woodworking setup in there. he only has a few small tools and obviously will only be using one at a time.
in the tac room where the main CU is, there is only 1 socket and all this has on it is the kettle. there are only people there during the day and rarely have the stable lights on so I wouldn't be worried about nuisance tripping

I may be missing something here so please point it out if I am, but aren't you overly complicating things?

From what you have said you already have RCD protection in the main CU. Then why don't you just run off of a 20A (2.5mm circuit) or 32A (4mm circuit) breaker covered by this RCD? You should still mechanically protect the cables with conduit or alternatively run the whole thing in SWA right up to the shed.

You could then fuse down with a switched FCU for your lighting circuit. If you are worried about the lights going out then fit an emergency light (with battery back-up) over the shed door.

You will have the segregation issue in the house but you can swap circuits around within the CU to ensure minimal disruption in the event of a trip.

I probably am over complicating this a bit but I intend on using this job as my NIC major as I have rewired the whole of the stables and lit the minage and powered the static caravan there too and I just want to make sure I get it all exactly right,
I really appreciate the comments and help so thank you.

So you are taking a supply from an existing outbuilding to a massive aluminium structure in direct contact with earth? If so, is your tac room fed from a tncs supply from the house?

So you are taking a supply from an existing outbuilding to a massive aluminium structure in direct contact with earth? If so, is your tac room fed from a tncs supply from the house?
at last.....someones asked what the earthing arrangements are here.....this will determine wether an s type RCD is required for discrimination purposes.....

Reply to Feeding a Shed Cu from the main CU in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net