Discuss Feeling frustrated ahhh..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Been very busy on our firm,starting jobs & still not returned to any,god knows what mess they are in.
Had a subby go to one of the jobs,I wasn't there at the time,anyway I go back & basically lights are not connected to appropriate switching in rooms.
I definitely ain't putting it right,so meets this guy,he says I was told to put up the lights for you,I said yea,dont you test to see they are working correctly,no it's not what I was told to do.
Im I the only one who gets this ----.

Been very busy on our firm,starting jobs & still not returned to any,god knows what mess they are in.
Had a subby go to one of the jobs,I wasn't there at the time,anyway I go back & basically lights are not connected to appropriate switching in rooms.
I definitely ain't putting it right,so meets this guy,he says I was told to put up the lights for you,I said yea,dont you test to see they are working correctly,no it's not what I was told to do.
Im I the only one who gets this ****.
No Cliff like I said monkeys get paid in peanuts, you get the minimum for what they are paid, sign of the times I'm afraid

Don't work with youngsters much anymore but when I did there weren't too many who worked on initiative probably through lack of experience but these days the standard reply is "not my job" or the reply Cliff received.
Agree,whatever will happen when we have retired...

Was the subby in question given all of the information he needed? A good, legible set of plans or suchlike?

If the person he is working for is too busy to go to the job or explain what needs to be done properly then you can't expect the subby to get it right.

Yea he knew what was needed,used to be 3 rooms turned into 2 rooms so lighting needed altering to suit,right pigs ear he's made of it.
He's told the gaffer it's all working,got paid & scarpered.

I think its not a generation issue its a personal issue, im 24 and i certainly dont leave a job half arsed or leave circuits un-tested. My boss drilled 'use you initiative' into us as apprentices and ive been doing fine on my own whilst subbing. If anything i have met old boys who couldnt careless and are stubborn about passing on vital knowledge to younger sparks as its 'not my job'.

I think its not a generation issue its a personal issue, im 24 and i certainly dont leave a job half arsed or leave circuits un-tested. My boss drilled 'use you initiative' into us as apprentices and ive been doing fine on my own whilst subbing. If anything i have met old boys who couldnt careless and are stubborn about passing on vital knowledge to younger sparks as its 'not my job'.
I'm going to blow my own trumpet here......I know of and worked with plenty of "older" sparks and I run rings around them in terms of quality, productivity, attention to detail and knowledge.:confused:

Agree with that. I've had lazy ******s working for me and I've had a number of very enthusiastic youngsters who have bucket loads of initiative. I think it's like common sense, it's amazing how many people just don't have it.

Fair point however I've come across a few electricians in the past just come out of being a apprentice turn up in top of range work clothes all the latest drills etc. and site radio at full blast. Do a poor standard of work go home at 2.30 and leave the rest of us to sort the problems out .

Reply to Feeling frustrated ahhh..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net