Discuss Feeling shortchanged by my training provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is it the training provider on Nottingham road across from the evans hallshaw showroom? I did the 18th edition there last week, basically 2 days highlighting my regs book. I would have liked a bit of info on new regs and amendments for my £500 rather than just scribbling all over my new book.

Any tips? Any good online resources for fault finding in particular? I’ve really struggled to find anything.

Regarding fault-finding:

In real life, key to this is a logical approach to fault finding – collecting as much information as possible (also known as “talking to people,” but including as well any paper-based documentation available like instruction manuals, schedules, plans etc), thinking about what the cause of the fault might be, then deciding on what appropriate tests would prove or disprove the theory. Break the problem down into smaller chunks – literally, in the case of circuits (divide the circuit into two, find out which half still has the fault), and eliminating certain areas. Although it is very unlikely for two different faults to simultaneously occur, it is quite feasible for one fault to go unnoticed for a long time (e.g. lack of main equipotential bonding) and then the symptoms only becoming apparent when another fault occurs (e.g. breakdown in insulation, causing a shock off pipework). The majority of fault diagnosis involves the use of appropriate dead tests – either continuity (to find open circuits) or insulation resistance (to find short circuits, or degraded insulation).

Regarding the 2365-03 practical fault-finding assessment:
It’s basically you assessing whether it’s a short (in which case, do an IR test) or an open circuit (in which case do a continuity test). There might be incorrect polarity, also (in other words, L-N swapped around) - you can determine this with continuity tests, i.e. test L at the board to L at the point of inspection - if open circuit, then try L at the board to N (or E) at the point of inspection - if low resistance, then it's probably polarity. Confirm by testing continuity of N (or E) at the board to L at the point of inspection.

If it’s an RCD that’s affected, then it’s an earth fault (either L-E or N-E). If an RCD-protected breaker trips, then in must be a L-N fault (as RCDs will not trip on these). If the scenario mentions “when it’s switched on” then it must be something to do with the switched L. So think things through, and make sure you have a logical approach to testing. Write down all your tests - whether it's continuity or insulation resistance, and what the results are.

For example:

"Symptoms of fault: RCD trips when light switch is turned on, on downstairs lighting circuit."

Logical thought:

(1) RCD trips, so must be L-E fault or N-E fault (would not trip on L-N fault)
(2) it only trips when light switch is turned on. If wired correctly, this will switch the L conductor only. So likely L-E fault (short).

Testing:
Insulation resistance test
L-E 0.00MΩ
N-E >500MΩ
L-N >500MΩ

Diagnosis: L-E short circuit

How would you rectify? Check connections from switch onwards, replace cable/accessory as appropriate.

Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Reply to Feeling shortchanged by my training provider in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock