Discuss Feeling sorry for the customer.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electricalserv

Just went to a call out...Landing light not working. Arrived to find 2 pensioners. Took all of 5 minutes to find a loose connection at switch and rectify it. Straight away I thought times are hard but I can't charge the earth for something that took me 5 minutes to rectify, especially to an old couple. Ended up charging 20 to cover petrol etc....

Came to my head straight away that other sparks would probably have hit them for a hell of alot more...call out charges etc...

Good on you mate. I had a similar experience about 2 months ago arrived at house old dear living on her own problem with a fluorescent.
The only problem was that the tube was not correctly in one end and obviously she could not get up on a ladder etc.
So i just ended up doing it for free she was very happy bless her.
It's a tricky one as i for one have a heart and class myself as a decent loyal honest person but as you quite rightly said their would of been many people prepared to make a quick buck off of a pensioner which makes me sick.
So once again good on you mate :)

FWIW, I wouldnt have charged anything.
I was talking about this last week with my mate who is a gas fitter. He said the same - it isnt worth the bother of an Invoice for less than £45, and 5 minute jobs are just not worth charging for, just give the customer a pile of your business cards, and ask them to recommend you to their friends (but tell them you do charge normally!).
It makes you and them feel good, and hopefully you'll get more work in the future.
Alan.

FWIW, I wouldnt have charged anything.
I was talking about this last week with my mate who is a gas fitter. He said the same - it isnt worth the bother of an Invoice for less than £45, and 5 minute jobs are just not worth charging for, just give the customer a pile of your business cards, and ask them to recommend you to their friends (but tell them you do charge normally!).
It makes you and them feel good, and hopefully you'll get more work in the future.
Alan.

Problem was It probably cost me half of that in petrol

I have this experience almost on a weekly basis, I made the mistake of advertising in the local parish magazine now I get inundated with jobs like this. The other week I had an elderly women that has basically gone senile getting me around telling me her socket isn't working, turns out she hadn't turned it on at the plate, you feel better having helped them out but when it's such a regular occurrence it drives you potty. Never advertise in the parish magazine!

Well done guys, those people will remember you for your kindness and when their children or friends require you WILL be top of the list.
Great to read, tradesmen with a heart.

Been in a similar situation and ended up with a large ongoing contract as a result, with a friend of a friends son in law.
A kind deed can often be rewarded in the strangest of ways.
Its a gut instinct, and you know when its the right thing to do.

I've had this

I said done pay me I was only here 5 minutes but this old bloke was insisting on giving me £30
Said he'd be more offended if I didn't take it

saw something like this on rogue traders not to long ago a loose connection in a pendant , guy replaced the switch and pendant and charged 400 quid.
it actually made me feel sick.

Last edited:
I've had this

I said done pay me I was only here 5 minutes but this old bloke was insisting on giving me £30
Said he'd be more offended if I didn't take it

Sounds like Nana from the Catherine Tate show ~ king liberty!:D Some of the older generation are very proud and don't want to be a burden upon anyone.

Just think of freebies as good Karma (what goes around, comes around)

Nice one mate

A good deed you have done i have done countless jobs for free never made me rich but at least they know i wouldnt rip them off

hopefully 1 day you will be repaid for your thought and kindness

good on ya matey

You'll find that mind......some folk take more offence at you trying to do it for nothing.

If they insist I always say 'call it a tenner to cover my fuel':)

Use a small fish as bait and you will end up catching a big one. Be kind to the penioners & hardup ones and they will pass the word around resulting in more business.:rolleyes:

Fully agree...well done buddy.......................in many years time when ur too old to wipe ur own butt and ur light goes...some young spivvy sparky will come along and try and charge you a small fortune...but u can be a crabby old **** and say " u cheeky young git" i used to do these for free!!!!!!!!!!! lololol

Reply to Feeling sorry for the customer.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net