• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Female Electrician Required - Female electrician west yorkshire in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi,

We have had an enquiry from a client that requires us to use a female electrician working with an apprentice. I cannot give details of the client at this stage suffice to say they are a reputable national company and more details will be given at the interview stage. The work will be in commercial retail premises on a national basis, working out of our offices near Halifax.

If you're interested or know of anyone, please drop me a line with your CV. We will also need a female apprentice or trainee so likewise if you know anyone please get them to contact me.

@Kate would this be of interest to you, or maybe someone else you know.

Is that legal?

If it's for a Personal Carer for a Female, Yes.
Or a Female actress.

As it's says Commercial retail premises, I'd say it's not legal to specify Female only.
Specified gender is only permissible if close personal contact with that Gender may cause concern or embarrassment.

Working in Female toilets or changing rooms for example, would not be a problem, they can be closed off to allow Male workers access.
Female prison, still no problem.

However as it's a "Reputable National company" they've probably considered the issue.

Hi,

I really didn't think this would be controversial, honest! But the client, in my opinion has grounds to request female only electricians, I am not saying I agree with it, but on the flip side if it promotes equality then maybe it wont hurt as less than 1% of electricians are female. I was once told that the customer isn't always right but the customer is king!
I apologise if the post has offended anyone on either side of the gender gap, but I need to find someone and figured this a good place to try.

Guys the op is looking for a female Electrician for her Client it's not the end of the world, The client may have a really valid reason for the request, but I'm guessing we will never know what That is, it's just the way it is .
Abneyelec I have Tagged a member called kate who may be interested but we will just have to wait and see if she replies.
Also there is no need to apologise, we just have some members that are a bit sensitive for men.:D

I think the concern is for the OP and his client staying on the right side of the law rather than being sensitive.

Can you imagine if a company ran an ad asking for male only applicants, even in a male dominated industry such as ours ? Complaints would come in faster than a greased up whippet.

I know mate but I just think if someone wants a certain thing in life and is willing to pay for that then they should be allowed to do it without it raising eyebrows.
Ps also Andy I wasn't including you as I know you had your sensitive valve switched off many years ago :):)

I know mate but I just think if someone wants a certain thing in life and is willing to pay for that then they should be allowed to do it without it raising eyebrows.
Ps also Andy I wasn't including you as I know you had your sensitive valve switched off many years ago :):)

I'm very hurt by that remark !

Cheers for the replies guys. I would be more than happy to propose any other candidates to the client, but to be frank I don't want to waste the time. This is a bit frustrating as I cant say too much without compromising the contract. I have to admit I also felt a bit uncomfortable asking the question, but there you go!
GMES thanks for passing it on.

I am all for equality. I think females should be given every opportunity to get into any sphere of work and career that they choose. I encourage it.

Positive discrimination is not equality though. It's discrimination, which is the opposite of equality.

Point of philosophy over, back to the thread :D

If your that bothered.... does your wife have a dress you can borrow? I know where you're coming from, but the NIC have a website called Jobs for the Girls as they're trying to promote women in the industry, so maybe its trying to create a balance.... who knows.

I apologise if the post has offended anyone on either side of the gender gap, but I need to find someone and figured this a good place to try.

I'm not offended.
My post was more to point out that there may be issues for you as a potential employer by incorrectly specifying a Female only without very good reasons.

I've indirectly worked for Reputable National Retailers and can't think of a reason to specify Female only for electrical work.

On a personal note, I'm more likely to be affected by Ageism issues than Genderism.

Reply to Female Electrician Required - Female electrician west yorkshire in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net