Discuss Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

let's face it. most females ( and by that i mean >50% of the female population) ain't got a clue how t0 wire a plug, and would use a shoe to knock a nail in the wall for a picture. for those who have a technical bent, then as long as they are competent to pursue their chosen trade/career, then good luck to them. there's a lot of predudice against them, so for those who have made it, then good for you. ( andbtw, isuse these to trim broken nails, toenails as well, also clip the dogs' claws. occasionally used fro cutting.stripping cat5 ans alarm cables).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000IBS...t=&hvlocphy=9046457&hvtargid=pla-435531736464
I bet you can't boil an egg or iron a shirt........... ;o)))

You see it's our subconscious preconceptions of women that are the problem. We have the best intentions but the subject keeps drifting back to tea making, kitchens, worktops, cakes etc

All depends mate. In out house I do most of the cooking & washing up. I iron the kids & my shirts. If anything buttons need stitching back on (or hems of pants) then it's usually me. I'm multi-skilled... I hate gardening so the missus does that.

You see it's our subconscious preconceptions of women that are the problem. We have the best intentions but the subject keeps drifting back to tea making, kitchens, worktops, cakes etc
And rightly so, why not lol

Unfortunately for the current crop of feminists, research suggests the stereotypes aren't too far off. Women are predisposed to be drawn to roles involving nurturing/caring etc. There is no escaping many millennia of evolution :)

i can boil an egg. but who irons shirts? soon as you put them on,they're creased.

i can boil an egg. but who irons shirts? soon as you put them on,they're creased.

Never used to iron anything, until the daughter wanted to wear shirts for school.. Now I just iron all the shirts..

Wouldn't it be kinder to blow dry the kids rather than ironing them ?

I do have a cordless iron. It has a warning on it, stating I should not use the steam function on clothes I am still wearing... (or something along those lines)... I mean, who would... You would have to be a special kind of thick to do that....

i am 71 and have never owned an iron. missus has had loads of them, always me has to fix 'em when they go wrong. never was a problem teaes ago when 'er indoors put them on the fire.

I do have a cordless iron. It has a warning on it, stating I should not use the steam function on clothes I am still wearing... (or something along those lines)... I mean, who would... You would have to be a special kind of thick to do that....
ours has a warning label... " if you don't wear knickers, do not use without supervision"

i am 71 and have never owned an iron. missus has had loads of them, always me has to fix 'em when they go wrong. never was a problem teaes ago when 'er indoors put them on the fire.

My nan had two irons, one that she heated on the fire (or Aga) and the other she filled with live coals to heat it. When not in use they doubled as doorstops.

can beat that..my nan had a washroon separate to the house ( as was the bog, down the yard). in there she had these up to date appliances.
6c284abaa365bbd6d942e2082d72cc4a--laundry-art-laundry-room.jpg
and

Villa domestic mangle, c 1870. Pictures | Getty Images - https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/villa-domestic-mangle-made-by-harper-twelvetrees-ltd-of-15-news-photo/90739893

can beat that..my nan had a washroon separate to the house ( as was the bog, down the yard). in there she had these up to date appliances.
and

Villa domestic mangle, c 1870. Pictures | Getty Images - https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/villa-domestic-mangle-made-by-harper-twelvetrees-ltd-of-15-news-photo/90739893
and

You actually had a bog ? With a real seat and page from the Almanack for reading and afterwards ? We had a gozzunder that we emptied on our midden!

Out of interest, how many female electricians do we have on this forum?

Reply to Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net