Discuss Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My business partner is lady (or at least, female). Got a few comments on site in the early days, but the fact of the matter is that our combined skill-sets and different strengths/approaches mean we work fast and well. It's often observed that we can complete a job faster than a larger all male team :)

However, as others have pointed out there are different types of women entering the industry, some of whom are there to make a statement. Imho anyone there to do anything other than excel at their job should just shuffle off. And in general, any attempt to artificially balance the sexes in any workplace really p*sses me off!

There's a Swedish Girl over on the other forum and she could actually teach you a thing or two

She works for a DNO
Well that's an indication of how good she might be, working for a DNO that is.

agree. any applicant for a job should be assessed on merit, irrespective of sex, religion, ethic origin, or whatever fad the snowflakes come up with next. however, it's generally perceived that certain sections of the community could never be capable as electricians/plumbers/ chippys/etc.as long as they have holes in their arses. these pppeps could do media studies or holistic witchery to justify their miserable waste of oxygen.

However, as others have pointed out there are different types of women entering the industry, some of whom are there to make a statement. Imho anyone there to do anything other than excel at their job should just shuffle off. And in general, any attempt to artificially balance the sexes in any workplace really p*sses me off!

I couldn't agree more.

The only female manager I've had told me she learned to program to prove a man wrong. That told me everything I needed to know about her in the one sentence. And I was on the money. She was useless in every way you need a manager to excel in a software business.

Zero clue about the market and the tools, zero ability and zero people skills.

If the feminazis get their way we'll all be welcoming quota based hiring... but only in male dominated industries of course... and then only the good jobs... I'm still waiting to see an affirmative action program complaining about the gender imbalance in sewer workers for example.

Just wanted to quickly voice my opinion.

Unfortunately I have never worked with any female electricians. I've worked with plenty of snowflakes, the type who wouldnt put their hands under floorboards and would pretend to be tough to their mates.

If your serious about your job then gender is irrelevant.

If your serious about your job then gender is irrelevant.

There are some serious footballers around who are female, but none of them would survive in the Premier league!!!

I'm of the opinion that anyone can be a good electrician, male or female. However, I've never worked with a female electrician.

I did work for 8 months as an assessor for a local college and had one girl apprentice electrician. Her employer had been repeatedly raising concerns about her attitude and level and performance. She refused to get in lofts and kept saying "How do you expect me to do that?". The other issue was she would practically abuse other electricians (banter, innit) and when they gave her some 'banter' back she went running off to the managers complaining and crying.

I explained to the employer, as I would any other apprentice electrician's employer on the same situation that if she's not performing, evidence it and perform a disciplinary. Use standard procedures to get rid of her if she doesn't improve.

I wrote this in my 3 monthly report. I was then pulled by the manager of our work-based learning department and told I should have never said anything as having a girl is good for the figures.

2 weeks later I put my notice in and went back contracting. Being PC isn't for me!

I explained to the employer, as I would any other apprentice electrician's employer on the same situation that if she's not performing, evidence it and perform a disciplinary. Use standard procedures to get rid of her if she doesn't improve.

I wrote this in my 3 monthly report. I was then pulled by the manager of our work-based learning department and told I should have never said anything as having a girl is good for the figures.

2 weeks later I put my notice in and went back contracting. Being PC isn't for me!

Good for the figures? So basically he reduced her future potential by using her as some sort of token PC gesture rather than helping her improve by pointing out she's crap at her job...

Sadly the world is full of folk so determined to prove their PC credentials that they don't actually think through what they say/do.

The reality is, that anyone looking to hire a spark wants the best spark for their money - it's a business, it's always about performance Vs cost. Even a hirer that did happen to be sexist would still probably choose the female spark if there was evidence to suggest she was the best for the job. All that matters is performance.

The reality is, that anyone looking to hire a spark wants the best spark for their money - it's a business, it's always about performance Vs cost. Even a hirer that did happen to be sexist would still probably choose the female spark if there was evidence to suggest she was the best for the job. All that matters is performance.

Exactly that.

If I need 2 sparks I phone an agency and ask for 5. 2 won't show and at least one of them will be crap so I get shot of then. I don't care if they're male, female whatever. I want value for money.

We tender jobs these days with no or little profit and the try to claw back money throughout the job. Why would I waste money on bad labour?

Reply to Female electricians, for better or for worse? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock