• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Female Graduate Retraining As An Electrician. Help/Advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Chann

-
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am graduating from my undergraduate degree in early next year and I have decided I no longer want to work in my field of study and instead, I would like to retrain as an electrician. There are a number of colleges near me all offering a wide array of qualifications being EAL, NVQ's and City and Guilds. The nearest college to me is offering a course in
EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation. I would like to state I have no prior knowledge on this subject and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where I would need to start. Also, since I am older I won't be eligible for the apprenticeship. Can someone tell me what the career path for an electrician is please.

All honest comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I am graduating from my undergraduate degree in early next year and I have decided I no longer want to work in my field of study and instead, I would like to retrain as an electrician. There are a number of colleges near me all offering a wide array of qualifications being EAL, NVQ's and City and Guilds. The nearest college to me is offering a course in
EAL Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation. I would like to state I have no prior knowledge on this subject and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where I would need to start. Also, since I am older I won't be eligible for the apprenticeship. Can someone tell me what the career path for an electrician is please.

All honest comments are appreciated.

Thanks
You get a degree and you want to retain as an electrician, what a waste

You get a degree and you want to retain as an electrician, what a waste
What makes you say that? Your response is quite discouraging. Its either retraining or going to graduate school to change careers. I imagined being a electrician was a good trade to learn?

Last edited:
What makes you say that? Your response is quite discouraging. Its either retraining or going to graduate school to change careers. I imagined being a electrician was a good trade to learn?
It is, but you have studied hard to your credit got your degree in whatever subject you studied, costing God knows how much and you want to spend your life crawling around in lofts, on your hands and knees in peoples houses, to me it just seems a waste of not only years of hard study, but your time as well, I'm sorry but I wish I had the chances you have had to study a subject I was interested in, I don't begrudge you becoming an electrician, it's just why?after all you have been through.

What makes you want to become an electrician?
What makes you want to become an electrician?
Honestly, I thought that learning a trade would be better than going to graduate school at the moment. I wanted to learn a hands on skill and I looked into the trades. If I had to pick one I would pick being an electrician. I just don't want to have an office job which would require sitting at a desk all day working with databases. I have interned.

agree with pete. while being a spark can be a satisfying and rewarding calling, it is hard physical work with pathetic remuneration compared with other professions. if i had my time again i'd have been a lawyer ( win or lose you still get paid) or a doctor (mistakes get buried).

Honestly, I thought that learning a trade would be better than going to graduate school at the moment. I wanted to learn a hands on skill and I looked into the trades. If I had to pick one I would pick being an electrician. I just don't want to have an office job which would require sitting at a desk all day working with databases. I have interned.
I'd look at the plumbing and in particular heating as serious options.

But with any of the 3, it's not going to be the college and exams that make or break you, it's the on site experience. If you get badly trained on site, or don't get enough on site training and experience it's never going to work out.

Can we ask what the degree was in? as if it is something technical related then there is the possibility of doing some sort of electrical design route working with specifiers and architects..etc..

as above. it's OK to press the wrong key on a computer and wipe out a company's assets, quite different with our trade, do it wrong and wipe out someone's life.

Truthfully, I think my degree was a waste of time. I followed the whole do what you love and it'd be like you never had to work in your life -------- and after interning in my second year I knew I would never work in the industry. I went through a number of internships and internship interviews knowing that I would never work in it.

Although I loved my degree, I've had a hard time deciding what to do with it as the content and industry were completely different. I've seen people who work in the industry looking to switch careers and when interning everyone looked miserable. I looked into all of the jobs I could get with my degree but I think I'd be miserable doing those jobs. Looks like I've really got to think this through. I have even explored options beyond my degree as it is quite specific. Right now I have a part time job working in social housing, working with vulnerable individuals which I love but the pay isn't enough for me to stay. Thought about being a social worker but people at work keep telling me not to do it.

agree with pete. while being a spark can be a satisfying and rewarding calling, it is hard physical work with pathetic remuneration compared with other professions. if i had my time again i'd have been a lawyer ( win or lose you still get paid) or a doctor (mistakes get buried).
If I had my time again I'd either be a spark or a Heating Engineer. I'm good at what I do, but I know plenty of bad/not so great sparks that are earning plenty of money.

Seriously it depends. My cousin went to law school and is now a property lawyer but the pay is only around 30k and this is after so many years of being one.

Can we ask what the degree was in? as if it is something technical related then there is the possibility of doing some sort of electrical design route working with specifiers and architects..etc..
Unfortunately, my degree isn't in something technical. I may get cussed out for this but my degree is in Fashion Business which I now regret.

Have you any idea of what being an electrician or a tradesman actually entails though?

I'd recommend finding someone local to you, go along with them for a day or a few days for the experience...enough to be sure if it's what you want to do or if it's not.

Don't jump in, do all the training, just to look to retrain elsewhere again in 3-4 years as it's not for you

Hi Chann,

I got my degree (Business Studies) 20 years ago and haven't really used it at all. I then retrained as a nurse and worked as a nurse for 15 years. Then I retrained as a domestic installer (just do electrics in houses) and have done that for 5 years now. My point is that I think it's absolutely fine to chop and change. In fact I think its quite healthy. Plus going to university isn't just about getting and using your degree is it. The experience you have adds to the person you are.

Good for you for choosing electrics. I personally quite enjoy crawling around lofts. I feel quite content sitting up there by myself pondering on the situation :)

If I had my time again I'd either be a spark or a Heating Engineer. I'm good at what I do, but I know plenty of bad/not so great sparks that are earning plenty of money.
Have you any idea of what being an electrician or a tradesman actually entails though?

I'd recommend finding someone local to you, go along with them for a day or a few days for the experience...enough to be sure if it's what you want to do or if it's not.

Don't jump in, do all the training, just to look to retrain elsewhere again in 3-4 years as it's not for you

Why don't you think its not for me? Just curious?

@Chann welcome to the forum, these people seem to have forgotten their manners. If you want to become and electrician follow and read this link carefully. Right now there are five proscribed routes into the industry and the link will tell you exactly what you need. Well done for rejecting a non useful degree and we need more female electricians so doubly welcome. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp
And forgive me if I called your degree a non useful degree, but there it is. I have a female trainee electrician that works for me. It is really useful as some places only want females attending. As to social worker, please don't do it! You will become an apparatchik of the state. You don't seem like you would last in that career.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Female Graduate Retraining As An Electrician. Help/Advice. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back