Discuss Ferrule clamping in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just started looking into a ferrule crimping tool plus some varied ferrule bootlaces. Problem is there's lots of different types and numerous different colour schemes to choose from....

could anyone suggest a decent crimper that can do sizes flying earth lead on rcbo to probably 6mm.

also what type of ferrules are good to work with?

Just started looking into a ferrule crimping tool plus some varied ferrule bootlaces. Problem is there's lots of different types and numerous different colour schemes to choose from....

could anyone suggest a decent crimper that can do sizes flying earth lead on rcbo to probably 6mm. you'd need to double the end over 4 or 5 times

also what type of ferrules are good to work with? round ones. :smile5:

look here:

Adjustable Terminal Crimping Tool Bootlace Ferrule Crimper Wire End 0.25-6.0mm² | eBay

could anyone suggest a decent crimper that can do sizes flying earth lead on rcbo to probably 6mm.

also what type of ferrules are good to work with?

You mainly get two types of bootlace ferrules French and German you can get a colour/size chart.Cord-End-Ferrules-chart.jpgI just have a cheap one...about £15 on ebay mY3_F7Xnk205S5TK3LtROdA.jpg

I thiink the bootlaces colour schemes are ridiculous!
Would be handy if there was also a harmonised range that tied in with the right colours for all sizes.. Very tedious having to apply heat-shrink.
I recommend weidmuller

I thiink the bootlaces colour schemes are ridiculous!
Would be handy if there was also a harmonised range that tied in with the right colours for all sizes.. Very tedious having to apply heat-shrink.
I recommend weidmuller

I'm not sure I follow you? Why heat shrink them?
If the colour is that much of a problem to you then use the cord end ferrules which don't have the plastic bit

The ferrules that I've been using are the cartridge type that load into a crimp tool.
Also the insulated type makes for a neater job with multiple wires into one..
Ive been building some control panels this week, done hundreds of the things, fingers and thumbs are numb! By the way I've not oversleeved them all, just the main incoming tails :)

But how do you know that? Is there a guide to what colour fits what csa? Or is it just find one that fits just enough to fit it over the conductor?

Well the chart lee posted above in post #3 is a good start, but when you buy them and they all come in packets with the conductor size written on the label, or you order them by size then you soon work it out without too much head scratching!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the SWA crimper too. It's not hard too work out which ferrule to use, just follow the CSA. I have mine in a small case labelled up with the sizes written on the lid with a sharpie.

uploadfromtaptalk1468696744830.jpg
I've had a pair of these CK crimpers for around 8 years,
They'll do all sizes upto 16 mm and I think with nothing to go wrong or break on them they'll last a very long time
Cost around £23 if you're sensible and shop around

Last edited:
Had to do some 50 mm ferrules last week which was a first for me
I don't have a crimping tool for 50mm ferrules !

So I used a Cimco hexagonal crimper (meant for lugs) which on 50 mm didn't really touch them and then I realised that of course the tube was much thinner than a copper tube lug so I tried 35 mm which worked really well, crimped in two places as the crimping area is quite narrow

As it's been used on a generator to machine setup I've had to disconnect and reconnect every day so I've checked them over every time and they seem to be fine .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

b23e03a9adae33078b704d8c497e137f.jpg

ive been using these for a couple years and havent had any issues, crimped 0.25 to 6mm with them (they crimp upto 16mm)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They look good but how do you know if you've applied the correct force to secure without over tightening?
They work on the principle that when you've closed them fully that's it, they're crimped!

If you don't crimp them enough they can be easily pulled off

I like these as they're simplistic reliable and also I've never had anyone pull the ferrule off which can be an issue with the square indent type,

I've lost count of how many I've had to redo at work, most blokes have the square type or weidmullers which are actually pretty good too and it's always the square ones that come off

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Reply to Ferrule clamping in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net