Discuss FIA Training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

i just did FIA Unit 1 yesterday and Unit 5 today.

i just thought I'd let me know it's worth every penny and a very full day packed with information. You do 7 tests throughout the day of approx 9 questions each, need. 75% to pass.

Each day was structured very well and you also come away with approx a 70 page A4 book with the course material in.

The instructor was Angus Stone. A very nice bloke with about 30 years fire experience and very knowledgable and delivered the course in a fantastic way, very easy to listen to and very approachable.

I am really pleased I did them and have booked I to a few more since getting home.

You dont have to know anything about fire alarms at all. These units are designed to make you aware of how they should be installed and what types of categories and such are split into.
Although it would be a good idea if you had some knowledge of the fire alarm systems.
The tests are all open book anyways - if you take in the knowledge of whats being said during the course (going through the sections of the books bit by bit) you should have no problems.

Tazz i hope would back me when i say these courses do help.

I didn't know anything about alarms and at present don't intend to touch them but I've just done it for the added knowledge and string in the bow feather in cap etc.

there was 12 of us today and 4 of the people who were fire alarm engineers failed it. I got 91% today so passed as you only need 75%.

it was extremely informative and feel I certainly know a lot more than I did. It doesn't make me a competent person but it's certainly a starting point for anything that I may look at in the future .

4 fire alarm engineers FAILED is the biggest eye opener in this whole topic!! Thats poor...

Forget to say well done on attending and completing buddy.

Last edited:
Yes it was an eye opener, I think I was the only one paying off my own back opposed to a company paying , at £240 + vat per day it's not cheap, but strangely I don't feel in the slightest ripped off.

they are recognised training modules and think it's worth it, I guess it's enhanced my knowledge and made me more competent to a degree.

i think if I have to ever get a job it might just make the difference if it came to it.

I know, shocking isn't it . I have to say it wasn't easy as such but wasn't challenging particularly. If I can pass it with no prior experience someone who works with it should easily be able to pass it, kind of says a lot.

I know, shocking isn't it . I have to say it wasn't easy as such but wasn't challenging particularly. If I can pass it with no prior experience someone who works with it should easily be able to pass it, kind of says a lot.
FIA Training {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

i think i might have a look at doing this course eventually then it seems a real eye opener, the only thing we usually deal with is just an interface box

Last edited:
Well if there just told to wire the brown to the brown...and the blue to bits...then they are like sheep following the engineer

I don't know where they were from.

yes my electrical experience may have helped but I think the only bit was the fact that I already knew about different categories or alarms and the definitions etc.

I do t think any if the course , either of them looked at or discussed anything to do with the fixed wiring, it was very focused just on the detection design and maintenance of the systems.

I have to say you may recall a thread on here a while back I started about a company who wanted done lighting and new ceiling but had three detectors and a sounder that needed moving and temporarily disconnecting for a few days... Well I'm glad I didn't touch it as I doubt that I would have been able to reconnect it it correctly, not only that I being the last to touch it would have been liable for it, and I wouldn't have had a clue what paper work if any to issue after fiddling with it.

its quite a mine field really.

I can honestly say I could relate to all of it pretty well, I even understood the bit about how to calculate the size of the battery etc, it's all relatively straight forward but just lots of bits to take in.

Like me I say it's a stepping stone to something I may look at in the future and will certainly help at somepoint.

im booked on the inspection and testing module in September and the domestic one that looks at the link between part 6 and part 1 in flats etc in October.

If you understand how the system detects, and monitors, then this helps a lot, I not sure if they cover this on the course

Well done UKsparks, a very interesting thread and one I will be adding to my subscription. Just started to revise FA's and doing my first design this/next week with the gaffer holding my hand lol.

Thanks guys, I had looked at it before but didn't know if it was for professionals or someone like me just trying to gain more experience/Knowledge of the subject. Just had a look and the nearest ones to me are in October.

Tazz do you recommend the 1,4,5 combined course or separate modules.

Reply to FIA Training in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock